Bermuda in the Winter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,
We lived in Bermuda 45 years ago, chief of surgery (and the only surgeon) at Kindley AFB. The memories are somewhat distant but I remember being constantly cold and damp in the winter as we lived on the economy in a limestone home in Padget, heated only by a fireplace. In those days, take home pay for a board certified surgeon with nine years of "constructive credit" was in the range of seven hundred dolars a month. Not much left over, in a family of seven, for firewood. The bed sheets were always damp. What a pleasure when we moved on base with kerosine heaters. Of course. those were the days when a chief resident made four hundred a month before then took out 75 for living in a one bedroom cottage on the hospital grounds at LA County. Hurray for Black Seal rum and coke and prices at the O Club.
Bart Spitz

Hi, Bart...

Thanks so much! Sounds like it was a pretty rough time... Glad you made it out of there...

:)

I might wait until the warmer weather...

Mike

Mike, that was 40 years ago, and they're Brits ... for Christ's sake, they didn't have central heating in lots of London flats back then.:D

I know that it had improved in Bermuda 20 years ago, at least the cottages we used had.

Mike, that was 40 years ago, and they're Brits ... for Christ's sake, they didn't have central heating in lots of London flats back then.:D

I know that it had improved in Bermuda 20 years ago, at least the cottages we used had.

Here's some video of Bermuda in 1938 - my mother and her family went there for the summer... good think my grandfather was a camera geek like me!

Narration is by mom...

Now I know ALL OF YOUR RELATIVES!:D

That was very cool! We were there in September - some images looked familiar.

Whew!

I lived in Bermuda for 3 years, left in 1995. I dove all year long but it does get cold in the winter. The gulf stream changes direction and cools the water down but the vis is awesome. Some dive shops stop for the winter but not all of them. There are many wrecks and reefs that can be dove from the beach. Not sure if you can access NASA Point but if you can the reef is kicking distance from the wall and was a favorite dive site of ours. Also the Fortress near St George (can't remember the name) can also be accessed from the beach, lots of cannon balls and old bottles out there. There is plenty to do for everyone and after you are there just ask around and you will find plenty of diving.

I lived in Bermuda for 3 years, left in 1995. I dove all year long but it does get cold in the winter. The gulf stream changes direction and cools the water down but the vis is awesome. Some dive shops stop for the winter but not all of them. There are many wrecks and reefs that can be dove from the beach. Not sure if you can access NASA Point but if you can the reef is kicking distance from the wall and was a favorite dive site of ours. Also the Fortress near St George (can't remember the name) can also be accessed from the beach, lots of cannon balls and old bottles out there. There is plenty to do for everyone and after you are there just ask around and you will find plenty of diving.

Thanks! That sounds great...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom