Bermuda Water Temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It's looking like we may be in Bermuda for a week in mid April. Water temperatures from the charts I find are to be 69F or so. Is that surface temp or is it fairly constant to depth. I realize many dives there aren't that deep but I'm used to loosing as much as 15F going down 30 feet. Just trying to plan the right suits.

Also feel free to post any tips, and suggestions about diving there. It looks like we'll be stayiong at the Wyndham in South Hampton. Blue Water Divers says they will have boats departing from their shop at that site.

Thanks,
Pete

Hi Pete -
I'm also planning a trip to Bermuda and was curious about water temp. I can't specifically answer your question, but I did notice that Blue Water Divers has a chart of water temp and recommendations on what kind of exposure suit to wear on their website. Here's the link: http://www.divebermuda.com/temp.aspx

Happy Diving!
Snork

spectrum:
It's looking like we may be in Bermuda for a week in mid April. Water temperatures from the charts I find are to be 69F or so. Is that surface temp or is it fairly constant to depth. I realize many dives there aren't that deep but I'm used to loosing as much as 15F going down 30 feet. Just trying to plan the right suits.

I wouldn't expect you'd lose much in temperature with depth since Bermuda is surrounded by a well-mixed open ocean. Although I've never been diving there in April (most of my dives there have been in the May-June and September-October months), I don't remember ever encountering a thermocline.

There's used to be and still may be Bermuda weather Web site which has monthly average as well as current sea temperatures - Google for it.

deleted...duplicate

Generally the temps at the surface are about two or three degrees warmer than at depth. If you dive the only real "deeper" sight which is the Hermes wreck, you can get down to an 80 foot profile which can, given the right conditions give you a bit more variation, including an occassional mild thermocline.

I would suggest packing a hood and gloves...you may not need them depending on your suit and your own personal "chill factor" but they will help make the difference that time of year, especially if you are doing multiple dives.

Official Weather Site:

www.weather.bm

Scubamax

Thanks everyone. I've been to the BWD site and had seen the chart. I just wasn't sure how it played out with depth. I had hopped that the Gulf Stream made for a well mixed soup and it sounds like that is the case.

Our summertime best in the ocean is around 65F surface and we can loose 10-15F on a dive to 50 feet. We'll just bring our summer ocean suits which are 7mm fulls and hooded chicken vests and should be fine, even with repetetive dives. I'll bring a few smaller items like a beanie to layer down, especially for skin-diving. If I can afford the luggage weight I may even sneak my 5mm in there for skin-diving.

Thanks for the insight,
Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom