Bermuda Wrecks - choices, choices........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

martin fox

Reaction score
Hello,

From what I can gather, the diving in Bermuda is mostly wreck diving. Having only dived on reefs, I don't know what to expect from a wreck or how to choose the best ones to visit (there are, like, 300 or so). Anybody have any pointers on which wrecks are 1) the most interesting, and 2) the most suitable for someone who has not done wrecks before?

Also, the usual questions, like who's the best dive operator, what's the best bar, etc.

Thanks,

Martin in NYC

Hi Martin,

I was in Bermuda in July. I went diving on 2 occasions (only 3 total dives, so I'm hardly an expert on Bermuda diving) with Blue Water Divers in Somerset Bridge (western end of the island). BWD is the dive operator that seems to get the most uniform positive comments.

http://www.divebermuda.com/map.html#

A few comments for you on the wrecks:

- I went to the Marie Celeste, a confederate era paddle-steamer in about 55 feet of water. Most of it was broken up, with the paddle wheels visible and some debris. Just off the wreck there were large coral formations rising from the sand to within 10 feet of the surface. Having been diving on intact wrecks here in New England, this one was rather underwhelming.

- Hermes (I didn't visit) is one of the most popular (70-80ft) since it is a fully intact wreck sunk in the 80's.

- Others vary significantly -- some as old as 1600-1700, with just debris fields and some cannons visibile. There are very few intact ships sutiable for penetration, with a few exceptions (the ones I know of are the Hermes and Xing Da -- another artifical wreck at close to 100 ft)

Here is a trip report I filed over on scubadiving.com about my trip. Gives you more details about the charter operation run by BWD and tips on logistics, etc.

http://www.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=839

Note the comments at the bottom by "jeepster" about a couple of wrecks he enjoyed on a recent trip. These are at the opposite end of the island from BWD, so they may require another operator. I read the descriptions of these wrecks on the BWD site and they sound pretty cool -- The Pelinaion and the Rita Zorvetta.

A few other points about BWD -- they couldn't promise which dive sites you would visit. Captain makes the decision as they head out to sea, based on conditions and experience levels of divers on board. I would also make reservations in advance -- you can do this by phone or on their website. You can cancel until 6PM the night before the dive with no obligation.

Also, Check out the BWD web site -- lots of useful information.

Hope you enjoy the trip! Let me know if you have more questions.

Hi Martin,
I've been going to Bermuda for 15+ years, and large diver has it pretty much on the money as to the types and styles of wrecks.Regarding "favorites", in addition to the Hermes,and Pelinaion{sp?}(South) I enjoy the Constellation (Northwest)- it has much in the way of cargo- glass, cement (the bags are long gone, only the "pillows" of hardened cement remain, and a variety of bottles-it was this wreck that allegedly inspired Peter Benchley to write "The Deep".
I believe the Xing Da was destroyed by a hurricane and is no longer intact and/or penetrable.(A friend of mine said it could no longer be located.)
Regarding dive shops I have had many an excellent experience with Nautilus diving-located at the Hamilton Princess and Southhampton Princess hotels.
Good luck,
Miked

Hi all,

Having just found out that I am going to Bermuda in August for a work conference, I would like to pursue extending the trip on my own dime.

Great thread so far... I am hoping that there can be additions to the thread including accomodations, operators and sites...

What does one HAVE TO DO when in Bermuda?

:huh:

Originally posted by martin fox
Hello,

From what I can gather, the diving in Bermuda is mostly wreck diving. Having only dived on reefs, I don't know what to expect from a wreck or how to choose the best ones to visit (there are, like, 300 or so). Anybody have any pointers on which wrecks are 1) the most interesting, and 2) the most suitable for someone who has not done wrecks before?

Also, the usual questions, like who's the best dive operator, what's the best bar, etc.

Thanks,

Martin in NYC

Having family in Bermuda, I've dived there regularly for 20-some-odd years.

Don't worry too much about which wrecks to dive. Bermuda offers diving on several (US) Civil War wrecks on the southern and western reefs. On the northeastern reefs, near the channel into the islands, are more modern wrecks. Both have their own fascinations. But wrecks aren't the only diving attraction in Bermuda. Some of the southern and western reefs are structurally interesting, offering an assortment of small caves and swim-throughs. On the northeastern reefs just outside St. George's harbor are the "boilers", unique structures rising from the sea bottom at 60 or 70 feet like mushrooms and laced with tunnels and caves.

On the downside, all the dive operations I've used there (most) run "guided tours" since most of their customers are novices. Don't expect to find a lot of fish there either, but one can be pleasantly surprised on occasion.

The "best" bar? I'm not into that scene, but don't pass up the Swizzle Inn.

Enjoy your trip. Bermuda is, IMHO, the unique "Caribbean" island, but it's located in the mid-Atlantic, due east of Savannah, Georgia.

Hi Martin,

I've been diving in Bermuda for about 3 years now. I agree with folks on the favourite dive sites, Constellation/Montana and Hermes are among my favourites. If you are new to diving the Darlington is a shallow dive and the wreck is still pretty intact. Lots of holes for you to look in and a large variety of fish and coral out there.

At certain times of year Blue hole is a pretty awesome reef site to dive. Just coming into summer there is a massive Bait ball that hangs around one of the tunnels going through the reef, you'll see trumpet fish 4-5ft Groupers, Jacks and if you are really lucky the lion fish that seems to have taken up residence there. If you want to see some pictures of bermuda dive sites check out my husband and I's website www.auchmeddan.net go to adventure gallery, diving. There's also some pics under the latest update.

I dive with Blue Water Diving, one of the bigger companies on the island, they have three locations, Somerset Bridge, Elbow Beach and Wyndam Hotel. The folks are friendly and the boats are both in pretty good condition, its a nice company to dive with. The dive season in Bda runs from about May to Nov with the best diving Mid-June through Sept.

Regarding bars, the popular ones are Henry the VII's on a Sunday night and Hamilton Princess on Fridays.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Jules

Jules,

Welcome to Scubaboard!

Just to let you know this thread died about two and a half years ago, and the originator of the thread has not posted since 2001, so I don't think he will be getting your message!

Scubamax

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom