Bermuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lawman

Reaction score
Looks like only place wife wants to go where I can dive is Bermuda. Give me all the current info-Where, With whom,
and how much.

Lawman,
I've been going to Bermuda almost yearly since '83 (my GF loves the island, and doesn't mind my doing 3-4 dives per day-she likes shopping, hanging by the pool, touring, etc.)

Diving is different than the Caribbean-not as many fish, different types of coral growth-but it is very enjoyable. There are some great reefs, many wrecks-varying in condition from a debris field to safely "penetratable"(?)
Water temps, in early July, were in the 75-78 (f) range. Vis was usually 80'+. [ Vis gets better as you get into the cooler months]

The diving, like the island on whole, is expensive. A "2 tank" can fall in the $90-100 range (2002 price, if I recall correctly).

I have dived with "Dive Bermuda", formerly called "Nautilus", and have really enjoyed their service. They have 2 locations, one at the Southhampton Princess (Hotel) Beach on the South Shore, and another at the Hamilton Princess dock, in Hamilton. If memory serves, and the schedule is the same as last year (?), they run (From Southhampton) an a.m. (leaves ~ 9:00 ) 2-tank, and a p.m. 1 or 2 tank dive. Depending on the site, boat rides can be as short as 10- 15 min, others longer.
From Hamilton, they run a 2-tank dive (leaves ~11:00 a.m.). these require a longer boat ride, and returns approx.4:00 p.m .

Another operator that I have heard good things about is "Blue Water Divers", which, if memory servs, has 3 locations around the island.

Most of the operators have websites, but I have no "addresses" handy.
Hope you enjpoy your trip.
Good luck,
Mike

Try the following site:

www.divebermuda.com
www.divebermuda.com

(This is the best site I have found, and they have an excellent reputation)

There are lots of general information sites as well...just look them up on your browser.

A few of things to remember:

1) You cannot rent a car in Bermuda, so its either a taxi, bus, ferry or rental scooter.

2) All major resort hotels have a Scuba operation, so transport to a diveboat launch is usually not a problem.

3) Major problem is of course the cost. Everything in Bermuda is very expensive compared to the states. The biggest cost will be your hotel room. If you can keep that cost under control you will accomplish a major victory. Food is also expensive.

4) One of the problems with tourism in Bermuda is that there is often a lack of value-for-your money with the "product". As such, high prices do not equate to better quality. The dive operations I have heard are all good value for money. Some hotels can be a disappointment however.

5) The best values are at some of the guest houses (B&B style). Some are near the other larger resorts so you can actually walk to the dive shop from your cheaper digs...not a bad deal.

6) Peak season is June, July and August, so prices are higer then.

7) Bermuda is part of the UK, is fairly clean, and fairly safe, and quite pretty.

Hope this helps.

scubamax

My husband and I went there 2 years ago. The diving was ok, not spectacular and we used a small op out of our hotel.

There is nothing cheap about Bermuda !!!!!!! and most things are definately NOT worth the money.

Also, we found the people to be unfriendly, rude and not very helpful in general. Maybe this was just our experiance, but alot of people we met on our trip that week had the same complaint.

Been there, done that, would not go back.

Reeflover

reeflover...i agree....

go to st john usvi.....great beaches....decent dives.....

use chris sawyer dive org.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom