Bermuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Monkey

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a serious itch to go to Bermuda. I am wondering if it is worth the extra money, since its cheaper to go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, or Bahamas.

What is in Bermuda that these other places do not have?

Later,
DM

Tropical wrecks out the yin-yang, that's what they have!

Bermuda has an ambience that is hard to capture elsewhere. Beautiful pastel houses and NO advertising allowed. No fast food joints and NO private cars (foreigners can rent scooters which is the best way to get around). Yes they drive on the opposite side of the road.

Bermuda boasts the Northernmost coral reefs in the West Atlantic. I dove with 4 of the 5 operators there back in Spring 2000. There are too many wrecks to mention.

Some of them are in bad shape, particularly as the occassional big storm (last year!?) tends to bang them against the reef over and over again. I could not get to do the wreck of the Christopher Colon (a big Italian passenger liner) because weather often disallows diving in the Outer Reef.

Diving was about $75-80 US per two tanks, which now looks cheap given the historical value of the wrecks, and the skill it takes to maneuver around those famous ship-sucking reefs.

The water is nippy. You will need a 7mm suit most of the winter.

Please note the cheapest accomodation in April 2000 was a guest house room which I found for $100US per night. It was a nice room, and the owner made me traditional Easter hot cross buns on Good Friday. Next door was a hotel charging $400 US per night. High season kicks in April 15.

Apparently, Bermuda also has some great grottos/holes for experienced cave divers.

Other than that, get on the Internet and you will find tons of information on Bermuda.

I've been to bermuda 2 years in a row, and will be back this year for my third. The thing about Bermuda is it's economy is not based on tourism like other islands. They make their money with off shore banking. So until now it is expensive to visit because there are mostly business class rates on everything.

My suggestion is to cruise there. The cruise price is your travel, hotel, meals, and entertainment. As for diving, I have only done my discovery diving in Bermuda. I did it with Fantasea, so I will try diving with them this summer.

If you go to Bermuda, however you travel, do yourself a favor and go to Horseshoe Bay beach. I'll leave it at that.

I've travelled to Bermuda each year since 1983.
I enjoy the island, as does my SO.(I dive, she does not.)

Crispos and Archman are correct in their descriptions.
As you said, it is expensive, and the diving is very good-just different form the other places you listed-the reefs are less lush, but they have their own beauty,the fish life is different, and the wrecks range from nearly intact, to debris fields.
(As I stay at a Hotel, I can't comment re cruises. )
"Bermudaskink" ( a member of SB) lives on the island, and she could probably give you the most up-to-date information.

Go and enjoy!
Good luck,
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom