Bert Kilbride

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
HERBERT "BERT" KILBRIDE: Created Resort course

Herbert "Bert" Kilbride, age 93, died in Etna CA on January 8, 2008.
He was born March 8, 1914 in Springfield MA, to the late Thomas and Sylvia Duquette Kilbride. Bert moved to South Florida in 1945 and was in the construction business. He moved to St. Croix, USVI, in 1956 and moved to the British Virgin Islands (BVI) in1964, living there until 2005.

Bert called himself the Last Pirate of the Caribbean! He has been a diver for almost a century and a treasure seeker for over 5 decades. He was an inventor, a builder, a contractor, and an entrepreneur. He had bought and developed two barren islands and owned a SCUBA diving tour business for 30 years. In the 1960's he created the "Resort Course" for the beginners interested in SCUBA diving. It is now taught worldwide under the name "Introductory SCUBA Course." In 1987 he was awarded the NOGI Award for SPORTS/EDUCATION for the creation of the resort course. He was made the "Receiver of Wrecks" by Queen Elizabeth in 1967 and called a "Pirate" by others in the BVI Government when he would not produce a map of the shipwrecks he had found on Anegada Reef (138 wrecks). In the 1990's, the governor of the BVI called him a "Living Legend" in his speech on the radio. In 2004, for his 90th birthday, Guinness Book of World Records proclaimed him the "Oldest Scuba Diver" in the world.

Bert is survived by his wife, Gayla, his sons Gary, Burt, Michael, Patrick James Tyrel, Ellen Christopher and Jeanie Mesler;

There will be no funeral service. There will be a Celebration Of His Life held on March 9 in the South Florida area. For further information regarding the Celebration, send an e-mail to BKilbridefamily@aol.com

Rest well Bert.

Met him and dove with him (and Gayla) 2 years in a row in the BVI back in the 80's. A class act to say the least.

Another legend gone but never forgotten.

Oh to achieve one-third of what this man did in his life time, incredible. To touch that many lives. All I can say is WOW!

Rest in Peace...you shall not be forgotten.

Wow that was a great slideshow! Good old Bert! I met him a few times back in the 90's at Saba Rock. Got to drink and talk story with the guy at his bar and restaurant. It was really fun. Looks like old Saba Rock got a facelift...it will never match the charm of what was once there.

R.I.P. my friend!

Back
Top Bottom