Best Airline for Flights to Manila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Three of us are headed to Anilao in December next year as part of Bluewater Photo's photo workshop. I was wondering what would be the best airline and route for getting there? We'll start out from Tucson, so going through Phoenix, LAX, or San Francisco would work for us. I know there aren't any flights available yet, just doing the research right now.

philippines airlines is the only one that flies nonstop from LAX/SFO to MNL iirc. else you would have to transfer somewhere in china/japan/korea first which means more travel time.

PAL is the first choice, failing that you can consider Japan/Korea/Republic of China. Give the commie airlines a MISS.

cathay pacific is a good airline with relatively comfortable nonstop service into kong kong. a short flight to manila follows a usually short layover in a decent airport (as far as they go). for being a skytrax 5 star airline, cathay often offers really, really good prices on economy tickets, and less frequently on premium economy.

Define best. Do you care more about price, stops, schedule, connecting airports, what airline you fly? There are tons of airlines that fly from the west coast to Manila. If you haven't already, just plug in some dates that you can search now, either similar dates this December to account for possible seasonal flights (but same days of week you might travel), or the closest you can get to your trip at this point, and you'll get an idea.

Philippines Air is certainly your most likely choice for a non-stop. And their prices tend to be pretty good, especially if you catch one of their fare sales. It won't always be the best price though. Non-stop has many things going for it, but a reasonable length stop or connection to stretch your legs on a long trip isn't always a bad thing either.

I find that when I consider the times of connecting flights on each end that will automatically rule out a lot of the options, especially since I'm coming from the East coast. You probably don't have that issue as much being near the West coast and presumably taking a bus or something to Anilao. But you may not want to leave your house at o'dark hundred if you don't have to. Or arrive/depart Manila at weird times that are bad timing for the Anilao transfers. Or maybe you decide you'd actually prefer to crash in a Manila hotel for the night before continuing on to Anilao. Or whatever, just play with it a little someplace like kayak.com where it's easy to narrow down the choices, and you'll quickly have some opinions on your better options. (If you did have a connecting flight in the Philippines, I've also found it's worth at least considering considering what terminals they use, and trying to stick in the same terminal if possible. Getting around MNL seems to be getting a little better, but you still have to assume it will suck, and you want plenty of time. In your case where does your ride to Anilao leave from, and when, and how do you get there?)

Our most recent trip we did United/All Nippon with a reasonable connection in Japan each way. The Tokyo airports are quite nice. You could similarly do American/Japan Airlines. And Cathay seems like a good option. Another trip we did United with a stopover in Palau. We've also taken Philippines Air, which was fine. I would also probably skip the Chinese airlines.

I'm looking for a safe airline with good service. I've read too many bad reviews about bad conditions, service, etc. We don't mind one stop. Arrival time doesn't matter since we will spend a couple days in Manila playing tourist before catching the shuttle to Anilao. It looks like Phillipines Air will be the one we'll take. I want to fly Business class since I can't stand the thought of that long in a cattle car seat. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

I'm looking for a safe airline with good service. - I want to fly Business class...
Cathay Pacific SFO-HKG-MNL is a great choice. EVA Premium economy was not too bad- but not even close to CX bus. or first (quality AND cost- but I use miles...). Have fun, I really enjoyed the 2 BW/Anilao trips I did!

I wish I had miles to use on these flights, that would help! I hate the high costs, but I hate flying in cattle class long distances even more. I did many, many transoceanic trips with my parents in my late teens and twenties in the middle seat in coach. It makes me claustrophobic to even think about doing it again.

I am really looking forward to Anilao, however!

PAL will let you select the seat even on Economy class while you book and the plane they use is B777 which is a lot more modern and comfy than the B747. But the food is lousy!
CX has great food but for Economy class you are only allow to select the seat 48hrs before departure. I hate the uncertainty especially on long haul.

Thanks, looks like I'll be going with PAL, and bring my own food. LOL!

I'm hoping by the time the flights open up that I'll be in the position to get a Business seat. Worse case, I'll go Premium Economy over and Business back.

Back
Top Bottom