Best batteries for ys-03 strobe and how to pack when travelling abroad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve A

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What batteries do I need to buy for my ys-03 ? I am just awaiting its arrival. Is it best to transport it with the batteries fitted and in my hand luggage when travelling abroad? Is it better just to buy disposable batteries when I arrive at my destination (Egypt)?

buy rechargeables the only way to go! get the highest mili amp battery you can find, they come in all ranges from 1000mAh to 2800mAh. the number will be written on the side of the battery. (it's not always on the packaging) They will last 3 to 4 times longer than disposable batteries. Buy the highest mAh battery you can find, the higher the that number, the longer they will last. Normally you can buy a set that comes with charger and then you buy another set of batteries only.( that way you can swap out on the go) they will last years.
And yes, carry batteries in your "carry on" luggage. Airlines are getting touchy about carrying batteries in "checked bags". I always carry all my camera equipment, batteries, and chargers in my carry on bag.

Cheers Daz, I think I might have to pack my regs in the hold luggage this time then as I have a video light too and computers so hand luggage will be on the limit.

i have always used rechargable batteries. they travel installed in my strobes in carryon. current set is black eneloops.

This has been talked about a lot. In my hands at least the highest (like 2900 mAh) batteries are not anywhere as good as the Eneloop type (more appropriately called low internal discharge) batteries for strobes. There is an article up on the underwater photo guide on tests done on all the battery types available and the low internal discharge types have far better capacity for firing strobes than the higher mAh batteries since much of the higher battery capacity is wasted on internal discharge.

Bill

Get some Eneloops(by Sanyo--best batteries for strobes)--& put them in the strobe while traveling......Well, that's what I do..:)

Just a note: Sea & Sea and several other manufacturers like Inon have come out and said that you _CANNOT_ use Lithium batteries in their strobes. These are the higher capacity non-rechargeable or other batteries. Rechargable long-life style NiMh batteries like Bill mentioned such as the MAHA PowerEx batteries work very well, but you do need to couple them with a good quality, 3 step charger like the MAHA models. These chargers also have a "recycle" feature that fully discharges the batteries and recharges them again. My experience is that you need to only do this once in a while and I would run a couple of charging cycles on the batteries afterwards to make sure they are fully-charged. They als0o have international voltages, all you need is a plug adapter.

I bought some CAMLINK NIMH 2700 batteries and fast charger off ebay to try. They weren't the cheapest but about middle of the road as far as I could see.
Can using cheaper NIMH batteries damage the strobe or is it just a case of poor performance? cheers guys.

Back
Top Bottom