Best BCD, and Regulator for women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morgan_5

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently in the market for a BCD and regulator. Does anyone have a suggestion on the best BCD for women? There are a good many on the market and I'm a little torn. I read very good reviews about the Cressi travel light and the Scuba pro lady hawk but am still unsure. I am also looking for a regulator. I was certified on a Sherwood Brut and I'm considering buying one but was wondering if there is anything better out there. I typically dive tropical waters (FL, Mexico, etc) and I want something reliable and can easily be serviced.

Thanks in advance!

I am biased, but I truly love my AquaLung Lotus for a bunch of reasons.
  1. I'm tall and I'm all legs, this BCD is women specific and it puts the weight pockets around my waist rather than down by my hips. Makes it very comfortable.
  2. It's a back inflate BCD.
  3. I absolutely love the i3 system!
Lotus i3

I will also say that I am very attached and biased towards my Scubapro HydrosPro because everything is adjustable and/or replaceable depending on what I need. It also is ideal for travel because it dries almost instantly and is highly pack-able.

As for regulators, it will probably depend on your size. Some brands will do a smaller mouthpiece (AL mikron (sp?)), or you can just add a smaller/custom mouthpiece.

I love my Zeagle Zena and Atomic Aquatics ST1. The Zena can be customized in the shoulders & torso & you can choose different color front panels. I have red. The ST1 has a comfort swivel & breathes easy. I’ve had both for a year now. Love!

BCs are very dependent on individual fit. You’ll have to try some on to narrow some that work best for you. The main thing is deciding whether you want a jacket style or back inflate. If back inflate, do you want a traditional BC with lots of pockets, something more minimal, or a full on backplate and wing? Also, budget might be a factor.

For regs, I would look into a custom mouthpiece by Seacure and consider looking at second stage size and/or types of hoses which change the way it feels in your mouth. Braided hoses are more flexible and lighter but don’t last as long a rubber ones. Some people also like a swivel at the 2nd stage but others argue it’s another failure point. These things tend to help, not just for women even.

To start, what’s your budget and what do you have access to brand wise? You’ll need to service your regulator and unless you know how or will do it yourself, that will affect what you may want to buy because of who can service it around you.

I can't imagine any possible gender specific functionality in a regulator. Typical difference is color and smaller mouthpiece, but that assumes all women need the smaller mouthpiece, which is not always the case and can easily be addressed after the fact. The Brut is a solid workhorse regulator, but don't be afraid to commit to something a little nicer for a little more $$.
BCD differences can be more specific for a different (stereotypical) body type, which again is not universally true for the gender. The two current Aqualung women's models have a shorter ratio between torso length and waist, a scalloped edge on either side to accommodate a more "hippy" figure, and are both hybrid to allow a bit more lift on a smaller bladder. Some other brands may also contour the shoulder and chest straps differently.

BCs are very dependent on individual fit. You’ll have to try some on to narrow some that work best for you. The main thing is deciding whether you want a jacket style or back inflate. If back inflate, do you want a traditional BC with lots of pockets, something more minimal, or a full on backplate and wing? Also, budget might be a factor.

For regs, I would look into a custom mouthpiece by Seacure and consider looking at second stage size and/or types of hoses which change the way it feels in your mouth. Braided hoses are more flexible and lighter but don’t last as long a rubber ones. Some people also like a swivel at the 2nd stage but others argue it’s another failure point. These things tend to help, not just for women even.

To start, what’s your budget and what do you have access to brand wise? You’ll need to service your regulator and unless you know how or will do it yourself, that will affect what you may want to buy because of who can service it around you.

I don't really have a set budget. And I live in the Atlanta area so a lot of the shops around me sell ScubaPro, Mares, Sherwood, Cressi, Etc.

I can't imagine any possible gender specific functionality in a regulator. Typical difference is color and smaller mouthpiece, but that assumes all women need the smaller mouthpiece, which is not always the case and can easily be addressed after the fact. The Brut is a solid workhorse regulator, but don't be afraid to commit to something a little nicer for a little more $$.
BCD differences can be more specific for a different (stereotypical) body type, which again is not universally true for the gender. The two current Aqualung women's models have a shorter ratio between torso length and waist, a scalloped edge on either side to accommodate a more "hippy" figure, and are both hybrid to allow a bit more lift on a smaller bladder. Some other brands may also contour the shoulder and chest straps differently.

What do you personally suggest that would be better than the Brut?

The Sherwood Brut was the cheapest schooling regulator available 35 years ago that worked. Almost ever regulator made in the last 35 yerars is better, and some are much better. Try to get an Aqualung Comfobite Mouthpiece, or buy the childrens model Aqualung Comfobite Mouthpiece if you have a small mouth. much more comfortable than the standard mouthpieces.
As far as 2nd stages go, the models with an adjustable venturi effect and adjustable breathing resistance are very nice but also much more expensive that the more common cheaper 2nd stages.
Where I come from Cressi has a reputation as a cheap warm water regulator, and Sherwood regulators have been almost unknown here for the last 20 years. You probably can't go wrong with an upperclass Mares, Scubapro, Aqualung or Apeks regulator.
My personal choice woud be a Scubapro MK25 1st stage hooked up to a G260 2nd stage, possibly with a swivel on the end of the hose between it and the 2nd stage, but that would be my choice, there are at least 4 million other divers and most of them would have other ideas what their personal favorite is.

Michael

The new Bruts breathe as good as any reg on the market if the dealer sets it up properly. The average recreational diver would likely not be able to tell the difference between it and a reg costing 3 times as much.

Back
Top Bottom