Best BCD for small stature 14 year old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A backplate wing so you can switch out the plates when you outgrow it is a good choice. Buying used that fits so you dont lose your shirt when you have to sell it every 6 months is another option.

I hate saying this but renting until you stop growing is probably going to be the most cost effective depending on how often you dive.

Focus on a good reg set and computer as these you won't outgrow unless you get into tec (depending on which might not even then)

CAUTION for the Aqualung Rogue - NEVER BUY A BCD WITH PLASTIC PIECES!! I bought this BCD in 2018, just finished a dive trip a week ago. I had only about 35 dives on it, and on the last dive my weight pocket fell off during the dive! I started to involuntarily ascend, thank god I was near a bottom surface and not on a wall (where it could never be retrieved) and that someone was close to me and grabbed it quickly!! This was a life-threatening situation. I thought the BCD was cool because you could take it apart and it was lightweight for travel, but the weight pockets are held on by plastic tabs that fatigue easily!! Upon inspection, the tab (that that weight pocket clicks into), is so fatigued that it's about to break off, again after 35 dives! The tab on other side that holds the other weight pocket is also fatigued and I'm sure would've failed soon. I took a lot of care with the BCD - never stored it with the weights in between dives. I would never let anyone I know dive with this BCD.

There is not a single BCD on the market that doesn't come with plastic pieces. OPVs, inflators, etc.

You had an issue with plastic quick release integrated weight pockets, which is fixed by those who dive exclusively with steel plates, weighted stas, and maybe an old school weight belt.

Bought my daughter (age 12) and slender, a Dive Rite TravelPac BCD. This is now a discontinued product, so you should be able to pick one up at a heavily discounted price. My daughter loves this BCD and I bought one myself. Good product especially now with a price drop.
Good luck
GJS

A jacket bc fit for a 14yrs old will be too small in a yr or two!!!!!
BP/W is a lot lot more flexible.

I am suggesting a used bc for a start.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom