Best BCDs in XXL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't tell us much about what kind of diving you do, which is important for questions like this. You and I are about the same size. For travel or single tank diving I really like the Zeagle Scout which is back inflate, weight integrated, with their PFS sizing it can be custom fit. I've had the Scout several years and use it for confined water and open water training dives in the quarry, warm water or single tank travel. Its a little faded from pool work, but otherwise just a functional as when it was new and still my favorite for singles. Very comfortable to wear.
With my doubles or dry suit I have an older Zeagle that, unfortunately isn't made anymore. Its the Techpack which is a lot like the Transpack.
When you look for a BC try several and do a lot of thinking about what kind of diving you are doing and what you what to be doing in a few years. Depending on what your interests are, you might outgrow something like the Scout in a couple of years for all of your diving. The question then is is it better to have two BCs, each which is better suited for their intended purposes or one that, while not ideal for everything, works.

I am also 6' 2" 280 and dive an Aqualung Axiom XL it fits great and is much more comfortable than my BP&W.

I am 6'5" 250 and dive the Apeks Black ICE. I wear the XL/XXL it can be adjusted at the shoulder and the waist. I wore a BP&W for awhile but was always over weighted in warm water. Hope this helps.

I actually tried on a Large Aqualung today at my LDS and it ALMOST fit, the XL would certainly fit. Apparently these things generally run large. So, that's good news, opens up a lot more options!

Don't forget that when you dive, you will (typically) have on a wetsuit, so when you try on a BCD in the store, you should try to do it wearing something that would approximate the bulk of a wetsuit. Its not a bad idea to wear a sweatshirt or a sweater when you go to shop for a BCD.

Don't forget that when you dive, you will (typically) have on a wetsuit, so when you try on a BCD in the store, you should try to do it wearing something that would approximate the bulk of a wetsuit. Its not a bad idea to wear a sweatshirt or a sweater when you go to shop for a BCD.
Well worth remembering as especially in colder water (with relation to air temperature) and the need for a thicker suit such as a 7mm or farmer john (which could be 14mm) that will add a fair amount to girth.

I would first suggest inspecting prospective BCDs. Some like the Black Ice has shoulder adjustments you can lengthen or shorten to provide a better fit for various torso sizes. Also some waist bands are doubled over so that they can be lengthened easily for larger midsections (thinking of the Aqualung Axiom/Dimension)

But, the best adjustability will come from a BP/W. It does a bit more work in adjusting it, but once you have it configured for your body, you will find it more comfortable.

I tried on a Zeagle today that I really liked. It was a Zeagle Ranger at Scubatoys. I really think I'll end up ordering a Zeagle Brigade.

I tried on a Zeagle today that I really liked. It was a Zeagle Ranger at Scubatoys. I really think I'll end up ordering a Zeagle Brigade.

If found a shop to try some on, might I suggest you also request to try it on with a tank mounted. Can give you a better idea how comfortable it will be for a shore dive walk-in, etc etc. I am over 45, so my knees need to know what it is going to put up with.

If found a shop to try some on, might I suggest you also request to try it on with a tank mounted. Can give you a better idea how comfortable it will be for a shore dive walk-in, etc etc. I am over 45, so my knees need to know what it is going to put up with.
As you say trying one on with a tank is a better idea.

If possible though I would see if you can try it on in the water. That is when a BCD really shows its versatility.

I'm an inch shorter, but on par with the weight. I use an AquaLung Dimension i3 in XL and it is the perfect BCD for me. I travel with it too. It's a back inflate style BC and that really helps if you are a big guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom