Best BCDs in XXL?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an inch shorter, but on par with the weight. I use an AquaLung Dimension i3 in XL and it is the perfect BCD for me. I travel with it too. It's a back inflate style BC and that really helps if you are a big guy.

Think I'm narrowed down to Knighthawk, Dimension, or Zeagle Brigade.

May I ask why you are not even entertaining the idea of a BPW?

May I ask why you are not even entertaining the idea of a BPW?
He must be filtering all posts with "BP&W" in it :)

I'm 6'5" and depending on the time of the year I'm anywhere from 265 to 245 lbs. I have lots of difficulty finding clothes off the shelf, much less scuba gear. I have made Zeagle and Aqualung BCDs work for me in the past with some modifications. I prefer a backplate with a wing for a custom fit.

I used a Zeagle Ranger LTD in XXL for several years, I bought it prior to my OW course. Great BCD. Mainly out of curiosity, ended up buying a BP/W a couple (few?) years ago and appreciated the extra stability the plate provides, along with the modularity for different situations. I still have the Zeagle in the closet.....

A back plate and wind (BP&W) is complicated to thread. Doesn't look like everyone else fancy super powered BCD. It has no padding. It has no pockets. It's just a mean looking S&M type thing. Why would any one want one? WHY!!!! Dive with one then you tell me the only BCD is a BP&W. You will tell me, why would anyone chose anything else. I'd recommended the SS. You can be 90 lbs or 500lbs and use the same BP&W, although one will have more webbing.

A back plate and wind (BP&W) is complicated to thread. Doesn't look like everyone else fancy super powered BCD. It has no padding. It has no pockets. It's just a mean looking S&M type thing. Why would any one want one? WHY!!!! Dive with one then you tell me the only BCD is a BP&W. You will tell me, why would anyone chose anything else. I'd recommended the SS. You can be 90 lbs or 500lbs and use the same BP&W, although one will have more webbing.
I have had people look at my BP&W and ask how it works compared to the traditional stab jacket. Once they see it on and in use in the water, the lightbulb goes on.

I did my OW in a jacket and made the switch shortly afterwards. Did I regret it? Not for a second.

BP&W are especially effective if you aren't a manufacturers standard fit (6'3 200lbs+ etc) as because they are modular you can alter the system (longer plate, shorter plate, plate material for buoyancy, harness type etc)

I've had two thru the years and am really glad to have gotten rid of both. They were properly fit by the way, just no where near as comfortable as the back inflate BCDs I've used over the years. I have found most of the arguments people use for them to be answers looking for a question. So no I wouldn't tell you that.

I've had two thru the years and am really glad to have gotten rid of both. They were properly fit by the way, just no where near as comfortable as the back inflate BCDs I've used over the years. I have found most of the arguments people use for them to be answers looking for a question. So no I wouldn't tell you that.
Comfortable on the deck of the boat or during the dive? Most people say that they like the tank locked into the hard BP so it's not rolling around during the dive, and that the lack of padding = less lead weight during the dive. And both are back inflate BCD one just has a hard plate and lack of padding (but you can add padding to a BP&W). I'm not saying one is better for everyone, some people are better off in a jacket style. But if a diver was having trouble sizing a back inflate BCD, you can't get more adjustable than a BP&W, you just buy longer webbing. One thing about the jacket style is they seem to keep the tank valve away from the divers head so they don't smash their head on it; but then again they can't reach over their head and turn the valve ether. One is not better for everyone. I couldn't imagine an instructor with a Open Water class full of BP&W it would be a mess.

I think the jacket style is better for easy on and off, no webbing to twist. For example if you were spear fishing doing quick bounces to see what down there, then a jacket may be better. It boils down to what you like and how much you want to spend

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom