Best beginner dive center and shallow diving near Miami and Ft Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bruno Genovese

Registered
Reaction score
My wife recently certified ScubaDiver (12m, with a DM), has only 4 dives and some remaining fears. I would like to take her diving in January in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.

What are the best shallow diving sites in the area?

Most importantly, which are the dive centers serving those sites that are best at guiding beginners in need of extra attention?

I'm not super familiar with the diving up towards Ft Lauderdale, but if you can make it to the upper keys, there is lots of easy diving. Reef diving in the Key Largo area is mostly shallow 30-40' dives in very good visibility. Many of the shops there will include divemasters on every dive (such as Sailfish Scuba).

If you'd like extra comfort, most shops will be glad to hire out a private DM or instructor for just the two of you.

The best shallow diving in the World is in Key Largo. They're a bit "under the weather" at the moment, but they'll surface soon! I dive a lot with Rainbow Reef down there.

Yep, ease her fears in the Key's or Bahama's/Cozumel with warm clear waters!

My wife recently certified ScubaDiver (12m, with a DM), has only 4 dives and some remaining fears. I would like to take her diving in January in the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area.

What are the best shallow diving sites in the area?

Most importantly, which are the dive centers serving those sites that are best at guiding beginners in need of extra attention?

Slightly sidelining the topic, not a direct answer to your question:

Similar situation with my water timid wife:
After initially signing up with someone else, specifically selected for her, who however had to bail last minute for health reasons, she ended up (a few weeks ago) in Key Largo with Rainbow Reef, going for her OW cert.
In principle that was not bad, the instructor was patient, although some of the "fearful misunderstandings" were a bit misdiagnosed at first, but all that worked out. BUT: RR does all their diving from a boat . The instructor initially flat out refused to have my wife do her initial OW dives in a local cove. Not for ill will, but because of bad visibility there. The water is calm, no dangling on a line from a boat in waves, just walk in and swim, but reduced vis and not much to see.

So, for my wife, who is quite comfortable UW, and a whole lot less so in waves above water, it was a huge step from the pool to a boat in waves.
She did it, but it also delayed her progress a bit because she could not address her initial OW skills w/o getting all scared up by dangling on that line at first.
But she also lost her fin (for good), dangling on that line at the beginning of open water dive 3.
Since it was a two tank boat dive and since no fitting spare fin was available, it was the end of her dive day...
In the end with the instructor running out of time my wife did do one cove dive after all to complete one missing skill and then got a scuba diver cert. and needs to still do OW dives 3 &4 for her OW rating.

After some search, we decided to do that next weekend in a local quarry with a local outfit. Our reasons were:
1.) Remedials, if needed are easy locally, hard on a trip when time is up...
2.) After the cove dive my wife was quite sure that bad vis did not bother her even remotetly as much as dealing with waves and lines on the surface. So, the vis in the quarty might be just fine now...
3) Although my wife now figured it out and is confident she will try again on vacation, why travel somewhere with "big bad boats" and with "big bad waves" and instructors that let students dangle on lines while caring for other students. Why be at the mercy of the weather for the few days there?
4.) If we wait for the next chance for a trip (next year), she might as well start over and we decided to fortify the new learned skills and water comfort before they get forgotten and old fears might come back into the foreground

Long story short:
Pending on where your wive's concerns are rooted, consider whether boat or shore diving is better... just to get the card more, carefully selected diving thereafter can address those fears as slow as necessary.

Taking real cold water out of the equation (FL), what bothers her the most? Wave action, or visibility, or the endlessness of an ocean, or?
If the former or the lattet, I am wondering if an OW class could be completed in one of those clear springs in FL. Don't know if they would be considered big enough.

Anyway I do wish the two of you all the best & success and lots of happy diving afterwards!

If the former or the lattet, I am wondering if an OW class could be completed in one of those clear springs in FL. Don't know if they would be considered big enough.
Maybe start the class there, but finish in the soup.

The Keys are great for beginners, so is Lauderdale by the Sea. There are several shops in the area that can help you out with finding a dive guide and going out for a shallow boat dive. You can even beach dive if that is what you prefer.

-Gold Coast Scuba
-Force E (Pompano location)
-South Florida Dive HQ (makes frequent trips to the shallow reef line)

One thing to keep in mind: winter can have pretty bumpy marine conditions. If you're wife is nervous, I wouldn't push her into diving on a day when the wave action is getting intense

Thanks all for your help. Sounds like Key Largo is the best option, with Lauderdale by the Sea as a solid fallback.

Answering some questions / comments:

- She is not ready to move from her ScubaDiver to the full OpenWater cert, so at least for now we only want more dives, with supervision and more advice. Heck, depending on how long she takes to be ready I might achieve my instructor rating and she might be my first student, certifying her in OW while taking all the time in the world to ensure she masters the skills and develop good habits.

- She already overcame most of her fears, she still needs to overcome the fear of sharks, but I think that exposure to innocuous sharks (like nurse sharks) will do it. I don't expect her to panic, since when she saw a large barracuda about 10' away (that completely ignored her) she kept her calm and by the time she saw a couple more on the next dive it didn't even faze her but rather enjoyed watching them.

- All her dives were boat dives, equipping in the water. She has not handled waves but from what I have seen her do I expect her to handle small ones fine, by not holding on to the line, so long as there is no current sweeping her away.

Fort Lauderdale by-the-sea is the best bet price wise. Shore diving, no $ boat, your schedule when you want to get into water, get another pair of tanks, dive again. $10 all day parking. In between you got the beach, 20+ food places..., walgreens for water/juice source.. all close-by walking distance. Just get a DM (if you must) and add water. It is like catered shore diving, of sorts.

Keys are kind of bare. Great diving !!! but lacking on civilization conveniences (in one place), got to drive 15mins here, then there, by the time you buy all you need, half a day wasted. Must ride a boat, don't think you can shore dive, reefs are like 20-30 mins away by boat. Some get sea sick. Plus, after 9pm key Largo is rather dead, most businesses close at 5pm. If any bars are open, it is empty and sad. It is like everyone goes to sleep at 8pm...even tourists. Not in Fort Lauderdale!

Also, in Fort Lauderdale you got more hotels, more rooms at all kinds of prices. On Datura ave and A1A the is a Dolphin motel. It is a hole but $70/night and 2 tiny blocks away from the shore where scuba divers enter the water in Lauderdale by-the-sea, it is so close, you could don your tanks in your room. Keys are damn a rip off throughout! I stayed at Homestead, a nearby city to Largo, to save $. Another hole, looks like one big truck stop. Once you are in Keys, you are trapped, does not matter where and how long you drive, it is a dump. Don't get me wrong, I love upper keys, just not after the sun down. If you ever been to a farm oriented, god forgotten communities, this is it, just with reefs. Now after a hurricane it will be even more uncivilized. There is like a single place that does breakfast early (before a boat departure), everyone is there, you'd think food is good, you'd find that coffee is even worse. Weird thing, Danny's has a bar. Another weird thing, a good looking cuban bakery but no one speaks English.

If you got to do keys, do keys, just bring more money and your own fiesta. Also, must love traffic.

Last edited:
@Texasguy & who else dives there:

For those never having been at FLL by the beach:

So, where you park your car for $10 day that's where you'd gear up and walk into the water from?
And then you can lock your stuff in the car do something else for however long you want and dive again, not having to move your car really?
Could you get fills in walking distance or would that be a drive?
What do you actually dive on?
A reef or wreck or seawall or?
Roughly how far out?

Also heard about Pompano Beach.
If you've been there, how do you compare those two?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom