Best beginner dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, some great suggestions! I am located in Los Angeles area...updated my profile :D

Andrea Doria.

I searched google for "Andrea Doria dive" and the first link that came up was "Scuba Diver dead diving Andrea Dorea" :shocked2: that doesn't sound too encouraging to try for a beginner dive! :rofl3:

Well I would agree the Keys are a great place to go but for the cost and time it takes to to drive there and what they want to charge for airfare I would say in your case it would be just about as cost effective to go to Hawaii. Its a water sports paradise and visibility is unbeleivable. Just my 2 cents

What I suggest is Marsa Shagra (Egypt) or one of the resorts in the area around Marsa Alam. Shagra is one of my favorite places in the world to dive. It's all about diving (literally nothing else to do there). The house reef starts just under the surface and you can make nice shallow, long and interesting dives both day and night with lots to see and very little hindrance from tidal flows. Water temperatures vary from very warm in the summer to about 23-24C in the winter. Visibility is usually in the 20-40 metre range and the weather top-side is usually very good.

There are also daily guided dives (going with the zodiac or with a truck) with possibilities to see, among other things (no guarantees), large sea turtles, a manatee, large sting rays, guitar sharks/rays, dolphins, small octopus, small reef sharks, large eels and at least one easily accessible wreck dive suitable for beginners. Some of the animals (eels, octopus and several other species) are nocturnal so you won't see them during the day except in exceptional circumstances. To see large sharks requires diving an offshore reef that really isn't suitable for beginners in terms of depth and current.

Moreover, the location is perfect for doing your AOW (include night, deep, navigation, nitrox and naturalist) and there are instructors on site who teach well and can teach you in fluent English. The operator is called Red Sea Diving Safaris

R..

I searched google for "Andrea Doria dive" and the first link that came up was "Scuba Diver dead diving Andrea Dorea" :shocked2: that doesn't sound too encouraging to try for a beginner dive! :rofl3:

That and probably $20k worth of gear acquisition, training and diving to even contemplate it! I've had it described as the K2 of the wreck world.

k374 noted Andrea Doria - must have been totally tongue in cheek.

Sorry Blackwood mentioned the Andrea Doria. A great starter dive NOT !!

Even Cozumel I would suggest for the more experienced diver. Drifts can be easy in some ways but more difficult ins other ways. Patricularly if currents are not kind and they may not be very predictable on Cozumel.

Yah, the doria was in jest.

Back
Top Bottom