Best bug spray / mosquito repellant for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hroark2112

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We're going to Buddy Dive 4/20-4/27. My wife is sensitive to buy bites so I'd like to bring the right stuff. What's the best to bring with us?

The best deterent that i have found is gasoline. Once you set fire to yourself, the bugs never get close enough to bite you.

I'm of the more DEET the better crowd.

I love REI's 100% DEET product. (OK, it's really 98%, but close enough.)

They have the typical DEET products right at the BD shop. I don't trust the stuff in my luggage.

Cutter and Off both have a dry formula. I like it over the regular oil based repellants, you dont even know your wearing it. OFF Deep Woods dry is 25% DEET, Cutter Dry is 10%. Both are effective against no-see-ums and mosquitos

Home Depot carries Swamp Gator, one of the few "natural" repellants I have found effective.Geranol, soy bean oil, peppermint oil, rosemary, and geranium oil. It works for no-see-ums and mosquitos.

A little bottle of 100% DEET is a good back just in case.

I used Sawyer's Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent

(Amazon.com: Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray: Sports & Outdoors)

on my clothes and Sawyer's 20-Percent Picaridin

(Amazon.com: Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent 20-Percent Picaridin Pump Spray: Sports & Outdoors)

on my skin. I went to Bonaire in early January 2010 and it had rained daily from September till I got there so the mosquito population was huge. Never got a bite. Others where I was staying were eaten alive.

One other benifit of these products is that neither will damage diving equipment. Deet certainly will if you accidently get it on anything plastic or rubber. Once dry on your clothes, permethrin is effective for about 6 weeks. Picaridin smells like citris and drys quickly with no ongoing smell. Highly recommended - and, no I have no business (or other interest) in either product.

We're going to Buddy Dive 4/20-4/27. My wife is sensitive to buy bites so I'd like to bring the right stuff. What's the best to bring with us?
Salt Water.

As long as you stay underwater, the bugs can't bite you.:D Plus it's free and environmentally friendly.

I buy and use the Picaridin products and find they work great. Plus they don't make your lips numb like DEET does. Your wife should also pack some lightweight pants and long sleeve shirts, which will help a lot. I know folks who buy those OFF! things with little fans that they place under their tables. If you're eating somewhere that has ocean side seating, the breeze will help keep the bugs away. Take-away is a good option for simply taking food back to your air conditioned apartment to eat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom