Best bug spray / mosquito repellant for Bonaire??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a big fan of the products containing Picaridin. With the higher concentrations I notice a wet dog smell with initial application which quickly fades. I also spray the Repel Lemon and Eucalyptus oil on my ankles. For outdoor dining the Off Clip On devise works in keeping table space clear, but does not work too well in protecting the lower legs.

I have brought some 100% DEET to Bonaire, and found it quite effective, but any mosquito repellant at all is better than nothing. Bugs are usually only a problem on Bonaire in the evening when dining out doors, but they can be a hassle anytime after dark.

A higher percentage of DEET in a repellent does not mean that your protection is better - just that it will last longer. The more DEET a repellent contains the longer time it can protect you from mosquito bites. So don't be fooled into thinking that 100% works "better" than 25%-it's just the length of exposure. If you're putting it on for a relatively brief exposure, say two hours on the beach for dinner-25% will work as well as 100%.

That sounds good, gdog. I've been using a product called Nopikex. It's like a bar of soap and you rub it all over you after a shower (or wet exposed body parts) and then let it dry on its own. Don't rub it off with a towel. No odor no stickiness after it has dried. I first had this product recommended to me in Panama. Then I couldn't get my hands on any more until Cartagena Colombia, where I stocked up literally! Must have close to a dozen of these little gems now. Of course the last night in Belize, I completely forgot to apply it. I've still got some bumps from the bites I received that evening. As for other products with 25% deet, I agree they only last a certain amount of time. I want my deet to last the whole time I'm out for an evening, which might be 2hours but is more likely to be 4-6. So I'm a 98% deet fan. All that said my new "soap bars" contain a lesser amount of deet than that but works ever so well. Perhaps the product also has some other repellent properties. Dunno.

Last edited:
And I hadn't heard of your chosen product before either. I'm thinking a combination of the two could be quite miraculous. In other words, first apply the "soap" and a couple of hours later, start using yours.

Picardin. I no longer will use DEET. Surprisingly the Lemon Eucalyptus stuff is also effective according to tests and I like it because it is "natural." But don't use too much or no one will want to be within about four feet of you. Trust me on this.

The idea of DEET is to keep the mosquitos away from you.:D If putting Lemon Eucalyptus keeps people away, that might be a good thing.:D
Picardin. I no longer will use DEET. Surprisingly the Lemon Eucalyptus stuff is also effective according to tests and I like it because it is "natural." But don't use too much or no one will want to be within about four feet of you. Trust me on this.

Has anyone tried Cactus Juice. I ordered some for a trip to Belize, but we did not get it until after we left for our trip. It was supposed to be good for the no-seeums.
We also have Avon skin so soft bug guard. That worked good for my wife while we were in Roatan.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom