• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best canister light for signalling in poor vis ?

Discussion in 'Lights' started by SaltyWombat, Jun 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM.

1. SaltyWombat

SaltyWombat DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Hoping for Cave 1 down the road, but I don't see myself becoming a dedicated cave diver. I'm just too far away from them. The vast majority of my diving will be in California.

Local divers seem to have the Focus 2.0, but my hunch is that's because everyone tends to just buy Halcyon.

laikabear likes this.
  2. SuperSeaMonkey

SuperSeaMonkey DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Who are you planning to do your Tech Pass with since you're based in California?

3. SaltyWombat

SaltyWombat DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Beto. I'm in Monterey.

4. SuperSeaMonkey

I've never met him in person, but some of my BAUE friends have taken classes from him before. Good luck with your Tech Pass. If you're ever down here in SoCal, you're more than welcome to dive with us in OCUE.

cathal and SaltyWombat like this.
  5. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

This is the problem when you are getting indoctrinated. I would have thought any light with several hundred lumens would do the trick. Otherwise, use the knob on the end of your knife to get attention. Improvise!

SuperSeaMonkey likes this.
  6. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

Is that invitation extended to others?

7. RyanT

RyanT ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

:shakehead:

grantctobin likes this.
  8. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

Years ago I had a UWLD ld15. Great light but too much spill for me in Missouri caves and Lake Michigan at times. Later I had a Dive Rite HP50 combo light. Again, a very nice light with a decent hot spot but too much spill for me for in the same conditions. Then I had an UWLD LD35 - 5th gen. Phenomenal build quality, very nice light. Absolutely loved it when I was In Florida, but again, way too much spill when I was in low vis (which is quite frequently) local waters. The backscatter was horrendous when in high particulate water and was to me like driving with high beams in the rain or snow. Each time i went back to my Focus 1 because i could see more in those waters with a tighter focused beam. Everyone is different and I have friends who aren't as bothered by the backscatter and prefer the overall brightness and build quality of those lights. Me, my next light will most likely be a Focus 2.

SaltyWombat likes this.
  9. Tracy

Tracy Tech Instructor / Captain ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Of those options, the focus 2.0.
    It is wonderful for signaling.
    That said, I wasn't a huge fan when I demo'd one this year. The light and beam are great, I love the adjustability of it and how tight it gets.
    It seems overpriced for what it was. The LED has no overheat protection, the battery canister rattles, there isn't anything cushioning the cells inside. The switch felt janky to me, I have been told by several is actually a very rugged switch, but it did not feel that way to me.

The LM isn't tight enough for bad vis signaling

the UWLD isn't tight enough for bad vis signaling.

These are just my opinions, take them for what they are.

SaltyWombat likes this.
  10. SuperSeaMonkey

Of course. If you're ever in Southern California, look us up.

laikabear likes this.