Best Cave Diving Cert? Also... Sidemount vs Backmount Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavernFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I plan to do a lot of diving this Summer, including beginning my cave training. Right now, I want to focus on improving my basic skills and knowledge. As such, I am considering the GUE Fundamentals course at numerous folks recommendation. I am wondering about my subsequent cave-related options and considering the following 2 paths:

1. Sidemount Training / Intro to Cave
2. GUE Cave 1

From many people's descriptions, I hear that the GUE Fundies course is the best overall skills and knowledge course, but that the GUE path, in general, focuses on a particular gear configuration which is not Sidemount.

If I have a strong desire to go in the sidemount direction, should I avoid GUE entirely? Alternatively, should I avoid sidemount and drink the GUE kool-aid?

Last edited:
If you don't know the instructor GUE is your best option. I would recommend Fundies as well as their training. If you are set on sidemount Fundies will still be a benefit. If I had it to do over again I would do my training in Mexico especially if you want to dive sidemount.

From many people's descriptions, I hear that the . . . GUE path, in general, focuses on a particular gear configuration and even specific brands of gear such as Halcyon.

Particular configuration, yes. Particular brand, NO. The standard gear configuration descriptions, available on their website, outline the specifications. Many brands can meet those specifications. Granted, you'll see a lot of GUE divers in Halcyon gear, but we can all speculate on why that is. The reasons definitely do not include that Halcyon gear is required or even encouraged for a diver to take a GUE course.

I plan to do a lot of diving this Summer, including beginning my cave training. Right now, I want to focus on improving my basic skills and knowledge. As such, I am considering the GUE Fundamentals course at numerous folks recommendation. I am wondering about my subsequent cave-related options and considering the following 2 paths:

1. Sidemount Training / Intro to Cave
2. GUE Cave 1

From many people's descriptions, I hear that the GUE Fundies course is the best overall skills and knowledge course, but that the GUE path, in general, focuses on a particular gear configuration and even specific brands of gear such as Halcyon.

If I have a strong desire to go in the sidemount direction, should I avoid GUE entirely? Alternatively, should I avoid sidemount and drink the GUE kool-aid?
Gue does NOT focus or require halcyon gear, or any brand for that matter.

Fundamentals is an incredible program. It’s a mistake to not take it.

Gue’s cave 1 curriculum is also excellent. Other agencies have quite a bit of instructor to instructor variation, both in course content and in standards, and even “highly regarded” instructors sometimes are actually uhh...less than ideal...to be polite.

It’s not about koolaid. A GUE cave course, and the courses leading up to it will well prepare/educate you for cave diving.

A number of other agencies course progression will do the same.

The honest difference I see is that the GUE side is much more rigid...about everything. What mix to breathe, what gear to wear, and what color of underwear is acceptable is not up for interpretation...

That’s not to say that GUE divers are all self righteous douches...in fact I find those to be the exception vice the rule(in any group of divers).

If you like rigidity...go with GUE. If not, find an instructor with a good reputation that teaches for another agency. There are plenty to choose from.

Bottom line: best is relative. What’s best for you and your personality is not best for someone else. Overall, you have to try pretty hard to find a garbage cave course.

Fundies is a great experience, regardless of whether you continue down the GUE path after Fundies or switch to learning sidemount with Edd or whoever. The "kool-aid" effect is not THAT hard to resist. Though I'm sure GUE instructors enjoy seeing their Fundies grads continue with GUE, there is no expectation they will. If you're determined to learn sidemount, I have to believe your Fundies instructor will not try to dissuade you.

I am considering the GUE Fundamentals course at numerous folks recommendation.?

That should give you a succinct sorting-out immediadely, which is better, much better, than later. I still weep late at night.

It’s not about koolaid. A GUE cave course, and the courses leading up to it will well prepare/educate you for cave diving.

A number of other agencies course progression will do the same.

The honest difference I see is that the GUE side is much more rigid...about everything. What mix to breathe, what gear to wear, and what color of underwear is acceptable is not up for interpretation...

That’s not to say that GUE divers are all self righteous douches...in fact I find those to be the exception vice the rule(in any group of divers).

If you like rigidity...go with GUE. If not, find an instructor with a good reputation that teaches for another agency. There are plenty to choose from.

Bottom line: best is relative. What’s best for you and your personality is not best for someone else. Overall, you have to try pretty hard to find a garbage cave course.

He says he has less than 25 dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom