Best Cenote for diver and snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beth_castroll

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
we will be diving in PDC and Cozumel a few days before friends arrive. They don’t dive. Which Cenote is best for divers and snorkeling so the snorkelers aren’t bored while we dive?

Casa cenote in Tulum might be a good candidate. Mangrove lined freshwater river with lots of fish and birds... Plus swim throughs. It's not decorated with formations like dos ojos, so that's another highly popular snorkeling option too.

The entry area at Cenote Dos Ojos (near Akumel) is a big open area that is crystal clear with some interesting rock formations (not life to speak of though). It would be suitable for snorkeling I would think.

While Case Cenote would be a great choice (one of our favorite second tank cenotes), it is quite a ways from PDC.

A closer one to consider might be Cenote Jardin del Eden (Garden of Eden). There is a lot of algae in the opening, with abundant freshwater fish for snorkelers.

I agree Casa cenote would be great, but i think it is at least an hour drive each way. Another vote for cenote Jardin del Eden but for a different reason, literally right next door are 2 other cenotes that are great for swimmers and timid snorkelers, cenote azul and crystalina. I personally really liked El Eden even for snorkeling, but it doesn't have as many shallow spots if your snorkelers are a bit less comfortable. If you dive El Eden they can explore either of the other 2 ceotes, their entrances are about 50 yards away. Entrance fee for the other 2 ceontes is about $6-8 if I remember right, and they both have more in the way of snacks chairs and non diver things to do.

I agree Casa cenote would be great, but i think it is at least an hour drive each way. Another vote for cenote Jardin del Eden but for a different reason, literally right next door are 2 other cenotes that are great for swimmers and timid snorkelers, cenote azul and crystalina. I personally really liked El Eden even for snorkeling, but it doesn't have as many shallow spots if your snorkelers are a bit less comfortable. If you dive El Eden they can explore either of the other 2 ceotes, their entrances are about 50 yards away. Entrance fee for the other 2 ceontes is about $6-8 if I remember right, and they both have more in the way of snacks chairs and non diver things to do.

Excellent recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom