Best December snorkeling in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We would go to the Foodland grocery store, get plate lunches or poke bowls and eat it on one of the local beaches for lunch.

+1!

I’ve lived on the Big Island for over 20 years and I can definitely recommend it for snorkeling from shore. One of the best sites is Kahalu’u Beach park in Kona. It has a life guard, free reef-safe sunscreen and knowledgeable ReefTeach personnel to provide information on the coral and marine life in this protected bay.
Anther popular shore snorkel (and dive) site is ”Two-Step” down adjacent to Pu’uhonua o Honaunau National Park.
if you wanted a day trip on a tour snorkel boat, there are several that go down to snorkel in Kealakaua Bay by the Capt. Cook Monument.
There are several more shore snorkeling spots along the Kona and Kohala coast, so you can find a really nice variet.

Add Manta Ray point at Mauna kea beach, night snorkel

Good morning,

Sorry for the late response, but here's an opinion on Kauai. We love it there, and the snorkeling at the Koloa Boot Landing (an old sugarcane boat ramp) is excellent. On the south shore there's also good snorkeling at Poipu Beach State Park and Lawai beach (aka The Beach House beach). In December the current is often too rough for anything on the North Shore, but if you get lucky Ke'e Beach and Tunnels have good snorkeling as well.

Given that Kauai is further North, I think the corals are better at other islands. Having said this, Kauai is closest to the Green Sea Turtle breeding grounds and has more turtles than the other islands.

Regardless of where you go I hope it's a blast!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom