Best (digital) underwater photography reference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E-diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
OK, so I'm truly excited to say that my new D7000 Nauticam housing has finally shipped. So, with a few live aboard trips booked for the not too distant future I'm looking for the best reference/guide for underwater photography, preferably in book form so I can take it with me. Though, as with everything in my life...the interweb is always welcome.

I'm fairly comfortable with the camera on land and for the most part can make the camera do what I want. That being said I know (good) underwater photography typically requires a good bit of manual tweaking, aperture, shutter speed, and strobe positioning. The real trick seems to be the ability to assess the situation and make these selections on the fly. So, I'm looking for a reference or two to help me correctly asses the situation the first time since I'm anticipating a bit of a learning curve for a while.

Thanks in advance,
-E

I'm currently reading Martin Edge's book, The Underwater Photographer (4th Ed.).

I'm very impressed and I think you will be, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Another vote for Martin Edge's book. The hard copy version might be big for travel, but it is also available in Kindle format, if you have a Kindle or a tablet.

Another thumbs up for Edge's book. I'd also suggest Master Guide for Underwater Digital Photography by Jack and Sue Drafahl. Also available for Kindle.

Yep, Martin Edge's book. Highly recommend both the e-version and hardback.

Thanks guys, ordered a hardcopy last night. I'm really wishing that when you bought the hardcopy it included a softcopy. I have both a kindle and ipad, and am considering picking up an electronic copy to travel with. Of course the con there is, if want to haul the book out on the boat and it gets wet...just adds character. If my kindle/ipap gets wet...:ar15:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom