Best Dive Destination For Wreck, Cave and Deep Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most easily accessible wrecks not in the US flight wise for you may be Coron & Subic bay in Philippines (caveat - I've never had a lust for rust in PI so only going on other dive reports)

Truk obviously is a wreck/tech destination

PNG and Solomons have some great wreck dives

Couple of my favourite wrecks - The Coolidge, Star of Russia and Flying Boat in Vanuatu
- Yongala QLD

Scapa Flow is famed for cold water wrecks (have not done, have only been in that part of the world in winter and am not dry suit familiar)

I agree NZ may have all three and loved diving Poor Knights and would like to explore more NZ diving.

There is Tec deep diving up in Espirutu Santo Vanuatu along with the grand lady Coolidge - contact Coral Quays Absolute Adventure for Sidemount to Heliox and there are caves and caverns planned for mapping in Vanuatu on other islands. I've done some cavern cave on another island but cannot recommend at this stage due to safety concerns - as in I have no cave training at all but I flashed a cert card and was in a network of reasonably tight tunnels with zero light until we exited into another cavern.

Australia
Mount Gambier for caves
Port Phillip bay for wrecks/deep tec

Andros has some seriously deep tech "cave" dives. Check the Small Hope Bay Lodge dive site list.

And someone does a Blue Hole regularly. I don't know the wreck situation. You can also easily fly between islands, there's decent wrecks off Nassau or the Theo off Grand Bahama. I think there's hundreds of wrecks spread across the islands - it's just not my thing.

Bahamas are very expensive though.

Oh, and one more plug for Florida, should you get really board with diving all the reefs, wrecks and caves, you can always zip over to one of the 5 major airports in Florida, jump on a plane, be in Cancun in about 2 hours, and diving the caves Riviera Maya! Or.....be in the Bahamas in 30 to 45 min diving walls, caves and reefs. World class diving destinations are just a hop, skip and a jump away from Florida.

Northern Europe, Scandinavian countries and the UK have some of the best cave divers around, the Baltic Sea has the best wrecks around. The climate is a bit cooler then shorty weather in Florida but the dives are mind blowing and the conditions are some of the most demanding you will find anywhere ensuring you are capable of diving anywhere in the world.

For cave diving (and even deep technical dives), I would suggest Playa del Carmen. Not just because that's where I live and teach, but having dived in the caves in NoFla many times in the past, they don't hold a candle to our caves. As far as wreck diving goes, the Great Lakes has fantastic wrecks (I know, it's US), Malta has phenomenal wreck diving opportunities and of course Chuuk (Truk Lagoon)..

If you find yourself coming down to Mexico and want to do your cave training, hit me up.

Agreed. If it were me:

Protec in Tulum (or Natalie at Under the Jungle) for caves no question. I’d spend likely 2 months here then:

Truk for the wrecks. I’d spend as long as my $ would allow here - If you’re buying then I’m flying! :)

Best of luck to you!

+1 for Natalie at Under the Jungle. I went with her 3x in 2011, 2016 & 2017.

She is even endorsed by @The Chairman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom