Best Dive Operators For Mola Mola Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm hoping on coming to Bali especially to dive with the mola molas. I'm wondering which are the best dive operators for this specific type of dive since I imagine that some have more experience than others for mola mola.

Hands up, we're here haha

About the experience, well there are specific spots where you can see the Mola Mola - example, Manta Point has a Mola Mola cleaning station as well and some dive centers go there while others don't.

However, the main dive site is Crystal Bay and a secondary at Toya Pakeh but keep in mind Blue Corner, although a very difficult dive because of the currents, Blue Corner is a good spot for the Mola Mola.

I'm hoping on coming to Bali especially to dive with the mola molas. I'm wondering which are the best dive operators for this specific type of dive since I imagine that some have more experience than others for mola mola.

When do you plan to be in Bali?

Gekodivers at Padang Bai, they'll take you early morning at Crystal bay, first on the spot with their fast speedboat and they're also diviing Tepekong/Mimpang/Biaha nearby Amuk bay.
I've seen MolaMolas on every of these sites while diving with them in august.for the past 3 years

I was diving and staying with Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai and saw a mola on 2 different Crystal Bay dives, off season end of February. I don't know how they conduct the in season dives because our first dive of the day was Manta Point.

My best time to see Mola Mola was in August 2014 during full moon in Crystal Bay. I saw 9 of them. Today (Ketut Gede Somadhyana) of aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia has been my guide there for the last 11 years.

I'll be there this coming September with 5 of my dive buddies after returning from the Ring of Fire trip (Alor-Banda-Ambon) with Blue Manta. Hopefully we might be lucky to see Mola Mola while we are in Alor too.

This is why I'm asking when @cleung plans to go to Bali hoping to see mola.

When do you plan to be in Bali?

No decision yet but I'm fairly flexible between say late June to early August I would like to max the chances of seeing the mola mola

Also, I'm thinking of bringing along my dry suit to deal with the thermoclines with these mola mola dives -- do you all think this might be overkill? For those of you from Canada, I figure the thermoclines can't be any worse than diving in Tobermory waters and I imagine the mola dives are shorter duration too. If I do bring a dry suit, I can see the potential discomfort of overheating while on the boat where the air temps will be drastically higher than the thermocline temps.

I dove with AquaMarine dive shop a few times. Staying in Padang Bai will save you hours in traffic every day. I wore 5mm plus 3/5mm vest. I was cold in the thermocline. My guide was turning purple. Diving at Cristal Bay can be really cold, +19C with a strong current.
Mola Molas are getting cleaned, and as long as divers are not swimming through a cleaning station, you have a good chance of seeing them.

molamola.jpg

Back
Top Bottom