Best Dive Operators For Mola Mola Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you from Canada, I figure the thermoclines can't be any worse than diving in Tobermory waters and I imagine the mola dives are shorter duration too. If I do bring a dry suit, I can see the potential discomfort of overheating while on the boat where the air temps will be drastically higher than the thermocline temps.
I am guessing Tobermory is less than 8C. I usually use my 7mm semi dry with hood in Mola season along with gloves, as it can range from 16-23C at most mola sites. I used to be a Vancouver diver but my drysuit died many years ago.. haha. I would not bother with a drysuit, for someone used to diving in cold Canadian waters you will probably be fine in a 5mm full suit with a hooded vest overtop. Personally I would also use thin gloves on the cold days. Mind you, I also use full foot fins without socks.. :)

The one in my avatar was seen at 43m, 18C, in Crystal Bay with 27 % Nitrox.

It’s being cleaned by Emperor anglerfish. Amazing sight!

I was in Bali for a couple weeks this past September. (Big thanks to those on this forum for recommending). I cannot say its the best, because its the only place I've stayed, but OK Divers in Padangbai was excellent. Here is my plug- The resort is clean, new, pretty, affordable. The food is incredible (breakfast included with the room, lunch included with the price of diving). The spa services are somewhat lacking, but thats not my cup of tea anyway.

The OK Divers dive shop was excellently run. We spent about a week there. We asked to go to Gili Biaha, Tepekong, Mimpang, Crystal Bay, Manta Point and Nusa Penida. They arranged all of those for us and took us to several other sites we greatly enjoyed. They have a very nice (and fast) boat "Dipe boat too." We asked to see Molas, mantas, white tips, and pygmy sea horses. We saw all of them. Although, the Mola was from a distance and some prick swam directly at him when he appeared, so he retreated quickly. The mentioned dives sites can be dangerous (or so I'm told), we felt very safe with OK divers. The one thing I'll say, Crystal bay was extremely crowded and OK Divers didn't get us there early (like others have mentioned). I have a feeling this is key to seeing the Molas there.

From reading this forum, it seems like there are several shops in PB/Candidasa that offer excellent diving services. We enjoyed OK Divers and plan to go back someday, when we've checked more places off the bucket list.

In terms of wetsuit. I struggled with this big time when researching for the trip, so I'll gladly share my experience. I grew up freshwater diving in 40F water in Illinois. My wife on the other hand wont get in swimming pool in Dallas until mid June. I took a 3mm (brand new, so it was a warm 3mm) with a 1mm hooded vest and an underarmour thermal. My wife took a 5mm (she tried on a 7mm and couldnt move in it) with a 5+3 hooded vest. We were both cold at manta point (64F was the low on my computer I believe). Crystal bay got down to 70F or so. I am told we were lucky for water temps, and that it can get much colder. Even some of the padangbai reefs can have current that blows 70-74F water at you, which is chilly when not expected. Bottom line, be prepared for some cold water. A 5mm with a hooded vest is probably ideal. Even on the warmer dives in PB, you wont regret having the extra thickness. Then when you go up to Tulamben for a few days (Which I highly recommend), you can dive in a swimsuit.

I saw the first mola at 30 meters and the mola the following day at only 20 meters. Quite amazing really!

Then when you go up to Tulamben for a few days (Which I highly recommend), you can dive in a swimsuit.
Given the number of seanettles/stinging hydroids in Tulamben, I really wouldn't recommend diving in a swimsuit! I still get stung on my ankles or wrists with my full 5mm....

I am guessing Tobermory is less than 8C. I usually use my 7mm semi dry with hood in Mola season along with gloves, as it can range from 16-23C at most mola sites. I used to be a Vancouver diver but my drysuit died many years ago.. haha. I would not bother with a drysuit, for someone used to diving in cold Canadian waters you will probably be fine in a 5mm full suit with a hooded vest overtop. Personally I would also use thin gloves on the cold days. Mind you, I also use full foot fins without socks.. :)

I dive at Tobermory in a dry suit. And yes Tober would be warmer than BC but still cold enough for me that I would not go in with a 7 mm. I would bring a dry suit to Bali to do the mola dives but I'm worried about being too hot on the boat as I usually wear my ski underwear plus a fleece under the drysuit. Perhaps this is why I don't see any mola videos of divers wearing drysuits.

We have stayed and dived with World Diving on Lembongan and had excellent Mola spots on our two visits roughly in the season. The first time we have seven in the water , in June. On the second occasion , in November, we saw two , one on each Crystal Bay dive and at least two on the Surface.

Last year we went to Alor and spent a week in Candidasa in November. On the last dive of the trip , at Minute 59, we saw one at Gili Biahia , it came up from the depth just parallel to the wall. We had plenty of air and plenty of bottom time , it was a wonderful experience. We dived with Bambu Divers there , again highly recommendEd.

Other posters have spoken about Padang Bai and I would echo that it is a wonderful location to dive from. We have had excellent Manta spots in NL when diving from PB and of course it is right beside some excellent local sites and near the Liberty Wreck. We have stayed and dived on a few occasions with Absolute Scuba who run an excellent operation. The guides , boats , the bungalows and food are all perfect. Having lunch with your guide , the other divers and frequently the managers is a lovely arrangement. And of course it is just 90 minutes from the international airport.

Just my humble opinion !

Back
Top Bottom