Best Dive Operators in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My son and I did 20 dives with Rainbow Reef last May and were very happy with the entire op - boats and staff. We stayed in Homestead, 1/2 hour drive but significantly cheaper hotels.

A local instructor uses Quiesence when in KL and has good things to say.

Stay away from Conch Republic. Perhaps the most dangerous operation I have dove with in 30+ years of diving. Lots of other operators

Stay away from Conch Republic. Perhaps the most dangerous operation I have dove with in 30+ years of diving. Lots of other operators

Voyager77: I'll have to throw the B.S. flag on this one. You made a very similar open ended statement with no detail regarding Conch Republic to a very similar question in 2012. You were called out on it then (SB'ers asking you to elaborate on your statement) but you didn't respond and it feels like you playing some sort of game now. You also did not respond to that particular thread in 2012 by indicating who you do like, which was the original question, just like now. Makes me wonder if you've been in the Keys anytime recently or if you have some personal beef with Captain Gary.

I'd guess I have between 50-75 dives on about 10 different occasions over the last 5 years with Conch Republic and have yet to see them conduct themselves in anything but the most professional manner.

So, my questions would be.....

1) when was the last time you were diving in the upper Keys?
2) who do you like to dive with in the upper Keys?
3) what don't you like about CRD?

I'll be a little more politically correct in my response...bull****!

Conch Republic is one of the most respected operations in the Keys. Whatever your beef is, accusing them of being a dangerous operation is just ridiculous. I don't know what your beef is, but throwing out a statement like that instead of explaining your issues brings your credibility immediately into question.

I've never dove with Conch Republic, but I've noticed on this forum they appear to enjoy a very strong positive reputation. Voyager77, it also looks odd that at this time, despite having joined in 2009, 5 years ago or so, you've only made 7 posts, and at least 2 of them were vague statements to diss Conch Republic?

I've no idea what your contention is based on. I'm just telling you that, from an objective 3rd party perspective, this at least 'looks fishy.' No offense.

Richard.

Just to toss into the mix. I have dove off a lot of large and small boats in different places. Surge in the water does not bother me. But with some wave periods and some choppy days the smaller boats are less pleasant. Also I am one of those folks who like to stand up and move around often underway. So I am less a fan of small boats. I have only been seriously nauseated twice and those were both small boats. In cooler winter months I especially like to be able to get out of the weather when not in the water.

So I often dive with Ocean Divers when in the Keys. If I am solo, which I often am, more divers gives more choice of an instabuddy. And once you splash you just go your own way and be back in an hour. On the other hand it only takes 2 for the boat to go. Nothing like a six packs worth of divers on a large comfortable boat.

Plus one on Conch Republic. Many pleasurable dives with them....I seem to recall a couple of diver saves on their scoreboard....at least one for a diver not even from their boat.

With so much competition in the upper Keys, I would think that a bad dive operation wouln't last more than a few months.

details? I know the staff at CRD and this is nonsense sorry to say

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom