Best dive spot in Feb for reefs/big fish combo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bballnut90

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently finishing up a trip in Bunaken/Lembeh and have absolutely loved it. I am already excited thinking about where to go my next solo dive trip, likely in February. I'm very open to different locations, but here's a little bit about what I'm (ideally) looking for:

-10 to 12 day trip in Asia, South Pacific or Red Sea. I'd like to stay in 1-2 different locations for the duration of the trip so I'm not traveling too much.

-good diving variety, ideally great reefs and opportunity nearby for some big pelagic life (mantas/hammerheads/other sharks/etc) or good muck diving.

-dive sites that are primarily close to resorts/dive shops, ideally within a 20-30 minute ride. Totally fine with a long boat ride here and there, but don't want to be on a boat driving far to sites each day.

-decent wifi connection....I know some will frown upon me requesting this, but I run an online business and will need to work a few hours here and there each day. The wifi at Two Fish in Bunaken/Lembeh has worked well for my needs.

-somewhat of a social/backpacker feel is ideal, but not necessary.

-Budget isn't an issue...I'll likely opt for cheaper accommodation but I'm not going to be pinching pennies. I am fine going to a more expensive spot if the diving is worth it!

I have 50+ dives under my belt and my AOW. Comfortable in currents, but haven't experienced any insane ones besides a terrifying experience at Crystal Bay in Bali (that was also one of my first dives so I'm confident I'd handle it better now than I did then.) So in summary, I'm no diving vet but I'm no longer a total newbie.

After talking with some other divers here, a couple spots I had in mind were Mabul/Sipadan, Cebu (Malapascua, Moalboal), or Bohol. If anyone has specific recommendations or suggestions about those spots, or any other place in mind that might be up my alley, I'm all ears.

Mabul/Sipadan is nice, Mabul has some excellent macro and Sipadan is really nice. I did 10 days there and the thing about that is you usually get 1 day at Sipadan to 3 days at Mabul so you will get to Sipadan twice most likely.

In the Phillipines since you like Macro how about a combo of Anilao and Puerto Galera? Anilao is world class macro and some great reef sites also and PG has more good macro and reefs. Both have generally short boat trips.

Now here's and idea how about a LOB in Raja Ampat? Epic diving, big stuff small stuff, some of the best I've done. February is the season for it. Some boats have Wifi!

For big things in February , the Philippines would be a great option. Southern Leyte is at the height of the whaleshark season and it’s an excellent uncrowned totally natural experience. The reefs are in excellent condition there and are full of fish. Combine this with Malapascua with thresher sharks almost guaranteed , possibly mantas and white tips on another site. The macro is excellent there. If you catch the early morning ferry from Leyte you should get to Cebu by lunchtime is. A private car and boat transfer will get you to Malapascua for happy hour ! Would Recommend Southern Leyte divers and Sea Explorers in Malapascua.

Raja Ampat most definitely has your most 'unique' sightings. For example:
Epaulatte Sharks
Tasselled Wobbegongs
Electric Clams
Black Mantas

Smaller sightings include:
Pygmy seahorses
Ghost pipefish
Nudibranches

And February brings perfect weather (lower winds).

If you are an Instagrammer, check out this video on some cool uw sightings: Meridian Adventure Dive on Instagram: “Take a few moments to appreciate the various wonders of Raja Ampat‘s waters.”

Or this one we did from a rad night dive (ps: am I the only one who just loves Spaghetti Worms?)

Thanks so much for this information. Planning to save Raja Ampat for when I have more experience under my belt...that and Komodo are tops on my bucket list!

Right now leaning towards Philippines...put a post on the board there to hopefully get some feedback. Seems like you can't go wrong though.

Thanks so much for this information. Planning to save Raja Ampat for when I have more experience under my belt...that and Komodo are tops on my bucket list!

Right now leaning towards Philippines...put a post on the board there to hopefully get some feedback. Seems like you can't go wrong though.

It's actually if you can return a good idea to keep R4 or Komodo for later.
I had already been to the Phillipines 3x till I did Komodo 2x, along with Lembeh 2x, Bali2x, and Bunaken, till I finally made it to R4.
That way you scale up the wow factor instead of down.

If you have the budget for Raja Ampat, do it. I've been a few times and it never loses wow factor.
Philippines is cheaper. I would recommend S Leyte, Peter's Resort. And Thresher Shark Divers in Malapasqua. On Malapascua stay at Tapanee Resort.

Raja is a no brainer but if you are saving that, I suggest Puerto Galera or Anilao. PG will be more budget friendly. Boats return between dives so you can do as many and as few dives as you want. Short rides, minutes to less than 10 away. Verde Island a little further but amazing. Excellent, reliable WiFi. Good macro there but no sharks. Go to Malapascua after.

I was at Asia Divers and El Galleon for 6 nights. 4 boat dives a day on nitrox with a DM or instructor, concierge style, with 3 meals a day, ocean view room, and private round trip transfers from Manila was $1200 USD or so. Excellent value.

Back
Top Bottom