Best dive trip location for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you get to wear a wig? :D

Shameful to say, I do in fact have a traditional barrister's horsehair wig, although I rarely do court work any more. A fashion statement it 'aint. On the plus side, if 17th century fashions do ever come back in, I'm all set.

I'd say "no" to Bonaire for two reasons. First, it's a great place for a beginner if you're going with a more experienced diver. I don't feel that a group of beginners is ready to strike out in a truck and direct their own dives. Okay, bring it on, should go back to class, blah, blah, whatever, but I'll stick with that. Second, I have seen ripping currents at popular dive sites on Bonaire, with experienced divers clawing their way across the bottom ... don't lull people into thinking that it can't happen.

I'd say "yes" to the south side of Roatan because it's easy to get to, the weather is great, the diving is very reasonably priced, there may be a little chop on a few occasions but never any surge, the visibility is good, and the diving is pretty decent. Oh yeah ... a lot of moderately priced dive resorts, and easy to get 3-5 dives a day, depending on your preferences.

And also, Jeni, I'm still waiting for you to fulfill my original suggestion ... get your wetsuit, mask, snorkel, and fins on, borrow a camera with video capabilities, and show the world your frog kick as you lay on your coffee table. I mean, come on Jeni, we've been waiting ... what's up with that!?!? :wink:

And also, Jeni, I'm still waiting for you to fulfill my original suggestion ... get your wetsuit, mask, snorkel, and fins on, borrow a camera with video capabilities, and show the world your frog kick as you lay on your coffee table. I mean, come on Jeni, we've been waiting ... what's up with that!?!? :wink:

:rofl3: Oh gosh! I was hoping that would quietly go away!!! LOL! I had actually forgot about that request. That's awesome!

(P.S. Thank you for your suggestions)

Shameful to say, I do in fact have a traditional barrister's horsehair wig, although I rarely do court work any more. A fashion statement it 'aint. On the plus side, if 17th century fashions do ever come back in, I'm all set.

It cannot be worse than my academic regalia...velvet gown, floppy velvet cap, and accoutrements...

It cannot be worse than my academic regalia...velvet gown, floppy velvet cap, and accoutrements...

I'm gonna need some photos here guys...

I spent two weeks diving Bonaire and never encountered a current on the main island, leeward side. We did a very relaxed leisurely drift on the little island, but that was it other than some shore surge.

Best thing about the trip is to rent a condo, get a rental or two for your group and have a good time. Compared to the shore diving requirements here in the NWP its all slack there. If you do boat dives, you will see someone like me swimming the short distance from shore to your boat's tie up. Also with a small Japanese 4 door pickup truck rental you get to go anywhere on the island and dive anywhere at your own schedule.

The best time to dive in Key Largo is late spring and summer (April-Sept). There is no wind, the water temp is really warm, and there is great visibility. During the winter we get alot of windy days and it's always horrible having to cancel dives due to wind when its beautiful out. The only thing we worry about in the summer are the hurricanes but we always have plenty of advance notice if one is heading our way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom