? Best diving, affordable and doable from flight to BKK Bangkok? Early June-Mid July.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

habarisc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning a trip to SE Asia. I want to do my 100th dive somewhere memorable. Timing seems to cross off Simians. I am considering Perthentians- Basar, I'm not into partying. Vietnam?? Thailand seems over-dived?? Please advise!

Similans is definitely out of the question. Bali has great diving and very affordable or Sipadan a bit more expensive but certainly memorable. Both can be reached from BKK, Bali direct but Sipadan is at least 2 flights and of course you always have liveaboard options in the Komodo region. Have you any particular diving interests? This will make it easier for board members to give you suggestions.

Bali looks interesting. I plan on 5-7 weeks of travel in SE Asia so getting to the diving destination can be part of the adventure. Interests: fun relaxed diving with abundant coral, fish, etc. and photo/video opps. Not interested in cattle boats, party scene, newbies banging into me. Former dive destinations: Roatan, Bahamas, Kenya, Little Corn Island NI, FL Keys, Pacific coast Costa Rica, Bocas Del Tora Panama, Cozumel 2x and cenotes. The part that makes it challenging for affordable lodging is I'm traveling solo. I'm finding mixed reviews on Perhentians, Malaysia.

I would still suggest Bali, if you stay at Tulamben you can avoid the daytrip crowds and any boat trips you make from there are definitely not 'cattle boats'. The Philippines also has plenty of options, Malapascua, Anilao, Puerto Gallera etc, they can also be reached easily from BKK.

Sipidan is amazing. Dive there if you can, quite memorable. Koh Lanta Thailand is nice too - not a partying island but more couples and chillaxing on the beach with decent diving. My divemaster at Koh Lanta highly recommended Perthentians to me if I liked Koh Lanta.

The Komodo islands in Indonesia are truly fantastic and seeing the dragons in the wild is a once in a lifetime experience. You can get there either on a Bali to Bali liveaboard , by a short flight or even by going via the Gilis and Lombok. Thailand is no where near as good. In 5 weeks you could dive Bali, Lembongan , the Gilis and Komodo.

Sipadan is also fantastic , very easy to get there from KL .

Best fishes x

I'd second Komodo. The best diving I've done anywhere, period. Add to that excellent scenery and of course the unique dragons, and it's a great place.

As part of a longer trip Java (Borobodur, Ijen and Bromo volcanoes), Bali (more temples than you can shake a stick at, volcanoes) and Lombok (yet more volcanoes, beaches) have some great topside attractions and Bali itself has great diving. You could make a nice leisurely overland trip from Jakarta east to Flores, diving in Bali and Komodo. If you have the time you could go even further east - Alor, Ambon and the Banda Islands have epic diving in a very remote region.

+1 on recommendation to take in Borobudur temple. I hear that the area around the site is more commercialized than when I was there last but find it hard to believe that it could change the experience too negatively. Quite an amazing site, particularly from the top. Sadly for me, I have short arms.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom