Best diving destination in July ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you tried the diving out of Morehead City? The offshore wrecks with the sand tiger sharks? When I dove there, the rest of my little crew hit the beach at least one day; looked okay in the pictures. It's a much different dive experience from the places you mentioned.

Ditto diving out of Jupiter, FL. Our little girl had a good time at Juno Beach, and for variety a side trip one day to Blue Heron Bridge is good. I think you'd be a bit early to hit the Goliath grouper aggregation, though (IIRC), and you'd be way off from the lemon shark aggregation. Jupiter would be drift diving, likely with a group. I've been twice; it was not 'wild and wooly' either of my trips.

How long will this trip be? Is your son an adult? Are there any depth restrictions or other conservative measures where he's concerned?

Richard.
Richard,

he is good 17, tough kid.

I guess I am looking for great dives and an unusual location but it has to be in July because of his school schedule.

Thailand, Kona, Maldives, Mauritis, etc

Looking for ideas

Try Bonaire for a great diving adventure. If not familiar with Bonaire, it is a small island in the southern Caribbean (near Aruba) off the coast of Venezuela. Diving is mostly shore entries, you plan where you want to go, from wall dives, reef dives, wrecks...a lot like going hiking. There are also dive resorts, with dive boats but the freedom to go where you want, when you want is unparalleled. There are some nice beaches south of the airport in the Belnam neighborhood. More info here:
Free Times: About Bonaire, Answer to where is Bonaire and more...

He is 17, we are OW been diving for four years now I think, I am thinking about a week.

No restrictions as he is bigger than me now.

Part of the reason I want to put together some cool trips as he will be headed out to college in a year and half.

We haven't done the NC coast as it isn't what we are used to (blue Caribbean waters) and this trip I am thinking we can travel more then just to NC Coast. Thats why I was thinking Hawaii or Roatan, curious if there is a possible betterr option for July.

Grenada

I would look at Bayahibe/Dominicus area, on the south coast of the Dominican and faces the Caribbean sea. Bayahibe is a small fishing village. There are reef dives, wall dives, wreck dives and even a cave dive if you are so certified. Most of the dive sites are 20 minutes or less away and most are less than 80 ft. deep. I always dive with ScubaFun | Dive Center Bayahibe It is small local dive shop in Bayahibe.
My wife is a non diver also. The beach is really good there. If you stay at the Hilton La Romana, it only about a 10 minute walk from the village of Bayahibe. We have stayed there twice (last time may 2018) when it was a Dreams.
Missed you there by a month. We stayed at the Hilton in June. I did El Chico cave with Herbert, Penon 1/2, the Atlantic P and a few more at night. I love it there. Great for divers and non-divers.
Heading back in a few days...Jan 4th.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for (seem to be looking for a traditional vacation destination) but if you're in NC already definitely check out the Wilmington or Morehead City diving some weekend. I don't live in NC (I am in VA close to DC) and still spend at least a weekend or two a month diving down there. Never gets old.

Back
Top Bottom