Best diving in Thailand - September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out Atlantis on Koh Lanta too. Sept will be before the 'official' start of the season, but Atlantis stay open all year, and you get a cheap flight down from Bangkok to Krabi. At this time of year you pretty much get the sites to your self too. I dived Koh Ha and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang last September, and had great dives.

Pretty much anywhere in Thailand in September will be a bit hit-n-miss. The storms that hit the Andaman side in September will put paid to the Similan islands but there's still good diving in other places - as has been identified already. I am in Pattaya and of course would love you to come here however I am in complete agreement with the others that the marine life and viz will probably be a good deal better elsewhere. This time last year we had 25 metre viz on some days; the last week it rained for 5 days solid and viz is down to less than a metre. On the other hand, I was diving off Phi Phi in February and we had less than 1m on Hin Daeng and Hin Muang was filthy down to about 10m until by some bizarre twist we had perfect (albeit very dark!) viz - seriously, under that cloud of silt it was almost like night diving!! The liveaboard guys told us that just 4 days earlier the viz was over 30 metres! Diving - it's unpredictable!

In the gulf we have some great wrecks but the marine life is heavily depleted; the andaman side has lots more marine life (especially if you want to see some sharks), but the weather is more likely to hamper your diving. On the other hand, Storms in the Gulf (whilst not always as severe) will equally keep the boats at their moorings.

Wherever you choose to go, the main thing is, I hope you have fun!!

I was diving in Ko Tao at the end of October 2007. The weather was terrible, it rained every day and the visibility was poor. You had to concentrate more on keeping up with your dive group than enjoying the dive. And most of the time the dive boats wouldn't go out far. Apparently it was fantastic weather the same time last year!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom