Best diving in the world: Misool Eco REsort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In January we spent a few weeks at Misool Eco Resort, on the island Batbitim, just south east of Misool in Raja Ampat. The quality of the dive sites is unbelievable. Many of the dive sites have very interesting topography, like walls, sea mounts, pinnacles and narrow straits between islands and everywhere the corals are in very good condition. Beautiful nudibranches, flatworms and pygmy seahorses can be seen on every dive. For me the enormous numbers of fish make this a really special location. Raja Ampat is a good place for fish but the 450 sq. km. No Take Zone around the resort is absolutely the best. Since 2007 all fishing has been banned here. We saw manta’s and mobula’s several times, different types of sharks on almost every dive, large groupers (even on the house reef here are 4 big potato groupers), and schooling fish everywhere in large numbers. We did some exploration diving in the last week and found a few sites with schools of millions of anchovies with lots of bigger fish, like jacks, trevallies, Spanish mackerel and tuna hunting them. In one of these spots we saw two schools of oceanic triggerfish.
This is an excellent place to go both for people who love macro stuff as for those who are interested in underwater landscapes and fish life.
The quality of the resort is very good as well. Beautiful cottages, excellent food and the diving is very well organized. The atmosphere on Batbitim is very relaxed.
This place is highly recommended. I will go back as soon as possible.

Sounds like you had a great trip! I have to agree that the Misool area has some exceptional diving. Can you recall specifically where it is that you saw mantas? Dive site names would be helpful. I have not heard previously of people seeing mantas in RA other than the areas northwest of Sorong, but if they're in the south too, that's good to know!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom