Best DPV for a one handed diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You got off the rails in the first sentence...

I will add the caveat that I was referring to modern DPVs. The 90+lb DPVs of the past and units like the Mako/Tekna that were never designed for tow cords are not great examples for the OP's situation or location.

There is a reason that the modern DPVs designed to use a tow cord, also use a neutral wrist position. Adding a tow cord to a DPV with axially oriented handle(s), like those on the old Tekna/Mako that force the hand/wrist into a fully deflected position is a bad decision of the user, which leads to less than optimal handling characteristics. Stories relating to outdated, user modified equipment provides poor perspective to anyone asking for current guidance about their particular situation.

If you'd like to discuss the engineering dynamics of DPV tow cord orientation, I'll point out the flaws in some of your statements above, but how about starting another thread, so this one does not get hijacked.

Cheers,
Jon

I will add the caveat that I was referring to modern DPVs. The 90+lb DPVs of the past and units like the Mako/Tekna that were never designed for tow cords are not great examples for the OP's situation or location.

There is a reason that the modern DPVs designed to use a tow cord, also use a neutral wrist position. Adding a tow cord to a DPV with axially oriented handle(s), like those on the old Tekna/Mako that force the hand/wrist into a fully deflected position is a bad decision of the user, which leads to less than optimal handling characteristics. Stories relating to outdated, user modified equipment provides poor perspective to anyone asking for current guidance about their particular situation.

If you'd like to discuss the engineering dynamics of DPV tow cord orientation, I'll point out the flaws in some of your statements above, but how about starting another thread, so this one does not get hijacked.

Cheers,
Jon

It is possible to ride Jon's scooter (the Genesis with torque fins on the shroud struts) with no hand input at all - only in a straight line of course. I was locking the trigger and riding around for a few minutes at a time no hands this weekend - pretty impressive balancing act on his part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom