Best Drift Dive Flag Reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Wet Ones,

Forgive my laziness... I've not searched the Board for possible answers to my question: My favorite dive boat now allows me to dive solo, to my great pleasure. Here in South Florida, the reef dives are almost always drifts. As a photographer, it's a pain for me to have to hold onto a dive flag line handle. Last weekend, the boat's DM let me use his clip-on reel and it was great! However, I've not been able to find that model of Oceanus.

Any recommendations for a reel with a strong "stop" or ratchet to keep it from unreeling, plus an anti-fouling mechanism, but not too expensive (I'll never use it for anything but mild drift dives, no deeper than 60 feet).

Thanks much,

Best Regards,

This is what i currently use:

I cant say its the best out there but if there is better i would love to hear about it. I like the fact that it has clip on one side and a place to put an anchor at the other. REEL

peterjmaerz:
Hello Wet Ones,

Forgive my laziness... I've not searched the Board for possible answers to my question: My favorite dive boat now allows me to dive solo, to my great pleasure. Here in South Florida, the reef dives are almost always drifts. As a photographer, it's a pain for me to have to hold onto a dive flag line handle. Last weekend, the boat's DM let me use his clip-on reel and it was great! However, I've not been able to find that model of Oceanus.

Any recommendations for a reel with a strong "stop" or ratchet to keep it from unreeling, plus an anti-fouling mechanism, but not too expensive (I'll never use it for anything but mild drift dives, no deeper than 60 feet).

Thanks much,

Best Regards,
Hi,

With a lift bag, or surface marker bouy you might want to consider a finger spool. OMS has finger spools with as much as 150' of line. The things are stone simple. Since you would probably inflate the bag at the surface, you would simply hold the reel between your thumb and finger while you descend, when you get to depth just pay out a sufficient extra line to allow for surface drift of the bag, and slight depth changes you will make as you dive along the reef. Clip the double ended clip to the hole in the spool with the line running through the clip, then just hold on to the thing while you dive. It would be handy to clip the spool to your BC, but resist temptation (this also applies to the use of a reel) if you are clipped to the surface marker and it gets snagged by a boat, or curious swimmer you could be pulled violently to the surface. If you must clip it on just use the other end of the double ended clip.

You expressed an interest in a reel that has a solid lock and resists tangeling, an open spool has both of these features. It is a little less sexy than a reel but will cost considerably less and take up less space in the water and in your dive bag

Remember that on drift dives to 60' your line to the surface will be on an angle not directly to the surface. I would reccommend at least 100' of line, this is a bare minimum, I would be more comfortable with at least 150'

If you want to inflate the bag at depth you will need a good open bottom bag Fill Express in your area has a nice selection of Dive Rite bags and markers. I have the open bottom SMB with the storage sleeve attached to the back of by BC accross the bottom. I take this on every dive, it is now just a normal part of my BC. Mark at Fill Express might even be able to put a longer line on one of the Dive Rite spools he sells, give him a call.

Best of luck,

Mark Vlahos

The Oceanus reels can be purchased in SE FL at Diver's Direct. I use one as a flag tender when drift or shore diving. It does a good job of keeping the line from tangling in the spool since it has rubber guides. The quick flip lock works great. I keep #32 line on it so it will snap fast in an entanglement with a dumb boater. Price < $50.

For more serious applications, I use a Dive Rite safety reel with #36 line. Price $75 + $15 for a spool of #36.

mempilot:
The Oceanus reels can be purchased in SE FL at Diver's Direct. I use one as a flag tender when drift or shore diving. It does a good job of keeping the line from tangling in the spool since it has rubber guides. The quick flip lock works great. I keep #32 line on it so it will snap fast in an entanglement with a dumb boater. Price < $50.

For more serious applications, I use a Dive Rite safety reel with #36 line. Price $75 + $15 for a spool of #36.

PERFECT! I'm about 15 minutes from the Sawgrass Divers Direct. And excellent advice about the line test; I was concerned about the "dumb boater" factor. Thanks to all who've replied.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom