Best DSMB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who told you that and what was their reasoning?
My LDS recommended the 6ft to me since all I do is ocean dives. The 10ft I’ve seen on here recommenced, not for me specifically I’ve just seen a few post of people recommend the 10ft when people mentioned deeper ocean dives in real open water.

I carry a 6' for ocean and for releasing underwater. I also carry a 12' dsmb, but there is no way that's getting deployed underwater. I keep that on my kit for emergencies and I can inflate it on the surface which make it easier to see us at a distance

I have a 3’ for quiet lake dives and a 6’ for the rest. Depending on where I dive, I carry the one that matches the local conditions

Three of us were on a high current dive off of Boynton Beach in 200 feet of water last month. The dive boat lost us.

We had two wide six foot DSMBs and one narrow 45 inch DSMB.

They did not do any good. The boat could not find us. We could see it a couple of miles away searching for us. I thought the USCG was going have to be alerted and we would be on TV being rescued.

The dive leader asked me if I had a whistle. Instead I pulled out my stainless steel signal mirror and to my surprise successfully signaled a private recreational fishing boat that was a bit closer. Fortunately, the boat was in the correct direction, to allow me to signal it due to the suns angle while our dive boat was not. Make sure you know how to use your mirror.

The fishing boat actually came over to check on us. Unfortunately, they did not have a working vhf so we could not call our boat. However, our boat saw what was happening and eventually reached us.

When our boat approached us, the dive leader said something that I thought to be immensely funny give the situation. He said:

“You guys need to make sure you are nice to the Captain when he picks us up, because we still need to use him tomorrow!”.

Three of us were on a high current dive off of Boynton Beach in 200 feet of water last month. The dive boat lost us.

We had two wide six foot DSMBs and one narrow 45 inch DSMB.

They did not do any good. The boat could not find us. We could see it a couple of miles away searching for us. I thought the USCG was going have to be alerted and we would be on TV being rescued.

The dive leader asked me if I had a whistle. Instead I pulled out my stainless steel signal mirror and to my surprise successfully signaled a private recreational fishing boat that was a bit closer. Fortunately, the boat was in the correct direction, to allow me to signal it due to the suns angle while our dive boat was not. Make sure you know how to use your mirror.

The fishing boat actually came over to check on us. Unfortunately, they did not have a working vhf so we could not call our boat. However, our boat saw what was happening and eventually reached us.

When our boat approached us, the dive leader said something that I thought to be immensely funny give the situation. He said:

“You guys need to make sure you are nice to the Captain when he picks us up, because we still need to use him tomorrow!”.
Too bad you nearly made it on TV ... :)

When you say that we should make sure how to use a mirror, is there something more than just reflecting the sun on the boat ?

Too bad you nearly made it on TV ... :)

When you say that we should make sure how to use a mirror, is there something more than just reflecting the sun on the boat ?

. . . _ _ _ . . .

Would have been my 30 seconds of fame. There was a group a couple of years ago that ended up that way on a drift dive. From the helicopter above, you could clearly see the wider longer dsmbs over the narrow shorter ones.

There is actually a technique that is used with mirrors that have a hole in the center. You use the hole, the mirror, and the reflection on your hand to accurately aim the sun beam.

A distant boat or plane is a really small target to try to hit without aiming. The situation is made more difficult if you are bobbing about. I would be happy to just to successfully signal the target, let alone an sos.

There are usually instructions on the mirrors with the hole, but practicing helps. There are also some YouTube videos on this. After I got back, I bought a mirror for my sidemount and single backmount rigs, and practiced some more.

Here's a simple vid, start about 1:50 for practical instructions. Notice don't have to use the fancy mirror with a hole.

PRACTICE before you need someone to see you floating in the ocean!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom