Best fin for surface swimming?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not to hijack this thread (although it's a bit old)... but what is the difference in 'fins' versus 'blades' and what are the advantages of each? I am a mostly warm water diver who does not need much speed... but I do like alot of control since I am usually taking pictures... I currently wear some open heel... ?fins? I guess... I'm not even sure what they are... whatever I bought for my OW class and I've never thought about them much.... until now! :) Thanks

Ok, upon reflection and more reading these terms seem to be somewhat interchangeable... so can anyone tell me how to back fin?? :)

Hello,
I'm new to this site but am interested in what was said about fins for long-distance surface swimming. I am aiming to swim across a lake - about 4 miles - and would like to find some fins for this. Any specific suggestions? My problem with all my present fins is that they cramp my foot within 5 minutes! The Aussies have a thing called a 'shinfin' which is supposed to overcome this by being strapped to your leg rather than clamped round the foot. Does it work?? Steve B

Hello,
I'm new to this site but am interested in what was said about fins for long-distance surface swimming. I am aiming to swim across a lake - about 4 miles - and would like to find some fins for this. Any specific suggestions? My problem with all my present fins is that they cramp my foot within 5 minutes! The Aussies have a thing called a 'shinfin' which is supposed to overcome this by being strapped to your leg rather than clamped round the foot. Does it work?? Steve B
Welcome to ScubaBoard! I haven't heard of the "shinfin", but I do know something about avoiding foot cramps. Do you have wide feet? It's very important to have fins that fit properly, and in particular they shouldn't squeeze your feet in the slightest. If that's your problem then you might want to consider the Oceanic Caribe X. I have wide feet and I find the Caribe X foot pockets to be very comfortable, with no noticeable side squeeze. Also, their flex profile is such that the blades bend closer to the foot than other fins, creating less leverage on the foot and ankle, yet they are still quite fast and can produce surprising bursts of power when needed. I use these fins along with a pair of Body Glove hand webs for extended surface swimming in choppy water. I should mention that the hand webs make a huge difference! In fact, I would feel naked without them.

Be aware that the Oceanic Caribe X fins have a fairly "light" feel and they require a fast, tight flutter kick to produce top speed, unlike other, stiffer fins. For the most part, though, I just use a slow, steady kick with the fins (4 kicks per stroke cycle) and let my hand webs do most of the work. I've found this to be a fast and efficient combination for surface swimming.

Here's a link to a relatively recent fin review:
18 New Fins - Scuba Diving Magazine

PS: I realize I haven't answered your question about the shinfins. Hopefully somebody here will know something about them.

Stephen,

I make a great fin for swimming called the Slim Fin. There is a good reason why other fins cause foot and leg cramps. A foot pocket extending from the end of your toes requires that you hold your toes pointed as you kick up and down. When you hold your toes pointed, the muscles in your feet and calves are contracted. Any exercise you do holding your muscles contracted will cause you to cramp.

Force Fin products, of which the Slim Fin is a proven 15 year old product made here in America for swimmers, allow your foot to point and flex with each kick, releasing the tension from your feet and calves, and eliminating the number one cause of cramping.

Here is an educational piece that is on our site and explains this from a swimming perspective[/I]

For what it is worth, it sounds like you will not be using the fin for scuba diving.

Lots of good advice so far from the other threads. I have three monofins (all Finis) and several pairs of swim fins and scuba fins. Custom made stereo fins (bi fins, two fins) would be nice but finding them in the States is pretty impossible, shipping from Europe is prohibitive, and the dollar versus the euro, well you get the picture...

Like you, I do snorkelling, some breath hold diving, and ocean fin swimming. I have found that scuba fins (of which I have several) don't work too well. They are just too much fin for the purpose, especially for fin swimming. I have discovered that open-heel, short bladed swim or body board fins work pretty well. Of these, I like the Hydro Tech T2 and DaFin. Voit rubber fins are OK and don't cost much. I used the T2 during a 2k fin swim race in Hawaii and was pleased with the result.

Hello,

I have the shinfin and found that works quite well as a substitute for the fins that I use during freestyle swim practice and for kicking with a board. I did use it in conjunction with my monofin as well. I would not be comfortable using it on a four mile swim because I don't know that I could swim four miles in open water (two miles is the max for me without fins). The inventor provides very personal service if you are ordering direct from AUS.

For freestyle swimming I also use a fin that speedo recently introduced, the trialon, and find it to be one of the best fins I have ever used for that purpose. I also use the Hydro T2 for ocean swimming. Neither causes cramps.

Hello and THANKS to everyone who replied to my question about fins for surface swimming. Wow, what a great forum! If I can try to sum-up the results it seems that:-

1. Everybody is different and the best fin for one guy is not the best for another. This means it is always risky buying something you have not tried personally.
2. Sizing is vital. This means buying on-line is risky.

With 1. & 2. in mind I guess ForceFins are not for me because I live in France and have no way of seeing them without buying them! I'd risk it if they did not cost them same as a small outboard motor. (Now there's a thought - I could cross Lake Geneva with one of those!).

The magazine's chart comparing other fins is brilliant and many of the names covered are available in this locality so I am off to check out the Best Buys and Testers' Choices.

Wishing you all clear warm water.

STEVE B

Back
Top Bottom