• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Best fins to get?

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by The.Cancerian, Aug 5, 2010.

1. RJP

RJP Scuba Media & Publications

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I'm gonna wear the same fins every day, might as well wear the same underwear and t-shirt too!

2. Walter

Walter Instructor, Scuba

Underwear? Under your swim suit? You'll be diving, why would you need underwear?

3. RJP

RJP Scuba Media & Publications

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Because I dive in a drysuit!

:shocked2:

4. Togalive

Togalive Divemaster Candidate

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Dead on, everyone has their favorite style of fins, there is no "best" fin out there. Personally I loved my simple ScubaPro Kinetix blade style fins that I used in my OW cert, and thats why I bought a pair today as well. I can get just as much dexterity in the water as someone in split fins, and I can keep up with people wearing jets, so for me its a given :)

5. FireInMyBones

FireInMyBones Divemaster

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Do you check your luggage or do carry on?

I have never checked anything and I love the simplicity it brings during the travel, the questions that come up before hand, like can I fit my Jets in my carry on bag with everything else...

6. Walter

Walter Instructor, Scuba

I've done both. You might consider getting the Dive Caddy. I'd love to get one, but they are a tad expensive.

In all honesty, if I had to rent almost everything and could only bring one item of gear, I'd bring my Jet Fins and rent everything else. My fins are the biggest factor (when discussing equipment) in me enjoying the dive.

7. diver_doug

diver_doug Solo Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    No such thing as "best fin" really. Based on the fins you asked about, it sounds like you are looking at paddle style fins. Here are some that are consistently well regarded and therefore worth checking out:

Mares Quattro, Mares Excel, Mares Volo, Scubapro Jetfin, Hollis F1, Aqualung Slingshot

8. andresalcarazb

andresalcarazb Angel Fish

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Scubapro Twin Jet Max, Great performance, lightweight......

9. Sephiro444

Sephiro444 Angel Fish

If you like (or think you may like) split fins, which produce less power per kick but produce swifter movements and less strain on the ankles than traditional fins, I'd recommend Atomic's Splitfins. They're a bit pricey, but come in a decent selection of colors, have a spring heel strap you can add if you like, and have worked well for me for the past 3+ years.