Best Fish Eye or WA Lens for RX100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Interceptor 121,
Thank you, please update me on how good is this lens.
I think the german site meant bigger sensor camera. I read from the idas website that the UWL 05 is created for larger sensor compact like the Canon G1X http://i-divesite.com/product_len_uwl05.htm. I read from another reailer website it give 0.7x magnification on G1X. Diving Express Online Shop .
I tried the UWL 05 on RX100. I think the magnification is wider than that at 28mm you got very small vignette at the corner. Zoom in a bit, then it is gone. I hope that this lens is sharp. It is very wide, the alternative Inon H100 plus dome is too costly for me to buy.

Yep as consequence of lager chip the lens has a bigger exit aperture (size of window of the lens)
Nauticam UK don't have it I was told yesterday
However consider that the UWL28M52 works fine with no vignetting and is less expensive
There are some test shots on wetpixel forum

I purchased the FIX UWL28M52 Lens through Mozaik Underwater Cameras, who ship worldwide, recently. Very nice with RX100. Haven't got it wet yet, as no diving after surgery. I had seen Alex Tattersal photos on Wetpixel and was impressed with the results. I did, however, contact him with regards to the step down ring he was using. I couldn't get one in Canada, so he shipped one to me from UK. It is an iDAS product AD-6752.
Being in Indonesia, Coralgal, you may be able to get the iDAS product there more readily. I think?
This particular ring adapter brings the lens in quite close with no apparent vignetting.

Alex tattersal=nauticam UK top guy
He does not have the uwl05 but I can ask him about vignette
I think he mentioned there is none but will double check

---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 10:27 PM ----------

No vignetting with the UWL28 but recommendation is to get the UWL04

Alex tattersal=nauticam UK top guyHe does not have the uwl05 but I can ask him about vignetteI think he mentioned there is none but will double check---------- Post added January 8th, 2013 at 10:27 PM ----------No vignetting with the UWL28 but recommendation is to get the UWL04
Thank you for the info.BTW has anyone try the ikelite W-20 with M67mm mount with the nauticam housing ?the magnification is 0.56x? Amazon.com: Ikelite W-20, 0.56x Wide-Angle Conversion Lens with a 67mm Mounting Thread.: Camera & Photo

It is a lens for 35mm it will vignette until then
Epoque (Ikelite) have a new lens DCL-30 or Ikelite W30 that is designed for 28mm
Not a fisheye just flat. If with similar money you can get a fisheye I would get the latter

Great thread! I now am getting the Sony RX100 with a Nauticam housing.
From my previous Olympus compact camera setup I have 2 wide angle lenses (both with 52mm thread).
One used quite extensively - the Epoque DCL-30 wide angle lens:
Epoque wide-angle and macro lenses
One unused - the Fantasea FWAL-01 wide angle lens:
Manufacturer :: Fantasea :: Lenses & Adapters :: Fantasea FWAL-01 Wide Angle Lens -

Two questions:
1) Can I succesfully reuse one of these wide angle lenses with my new Sony RX100+Nauticam camera setup?
2) How do I succesfully reuse one of these wide angle lenses...I am guessing that I need some kind of step ring?

Great thread! I now am getting the Sony RX100 with a Nauticam housing.
From my previous Olympus compact camera setup I have 2 wide angle lenses (both with 52mm thread).
One used quite extensively - the Epoque DCL-30 wide angle lens:
Epoque wide-angle and macro lenses
One unused - the Fantasea FWAL-01 wide angle lens:
Manufacturer :: Fantasea :: Lenses & Adapters :: Fantasea FWAL-01 Wide Angle Lens -

Two questions:
1) Can I succesfully reuse one of these wide angle lenses with my new Sony RX100+Nauticam camera setup?
2) How do I succesfully reuse one of these wide angle lenses...I am guessing that I need some kind of step ring?
Epoque used to produce the same lens for all mounts and then have an extra part to change so you could adapt it
You may want to check with a reseller in us bluewater photo or reefphoto

Here is a link for the uwl-05: http://i-divesite.com/product_len_uwl05.htm

Two questions:
1) How good will this lens be with the Sony RX100 and Nauticam housing?
2) Could I use it with my current Canon G11 with a Canon housing? (It doesnt have to work perfectly just, just well enough till I am able to save up for the Sony)

It may be a little while before I can fork out the cash for the sony and nauticam housing, so in the mean time if the WL-05 works with my existing system then at least I can have some WA fun in the mean time.

Here is a link for the uwl-05: http://i-divesite.com/product_len_uwl05.htm

Two questions:
1) How good will this lens be with the Sony RX100 and Nauticam housing?
2) Could I use it with my current Canon G11 with a Canon housing? (It doesnt have to work perfectly just, just well enough till I am able to save up for the Sony)

It may be a little while before I can fork out the cash for the sony and nauticam housing, so in the mean time if the WL-05 works with my existing system then at least I can have some WA fun in the mean time.

The rx100 and the canon g series are very different cameras
The Sony tolerates many lenses because of the way zoom is implemented , the rx100 will accept lenses designed for 35mm equivalent and at times without much vignette as the lens is really close to the housing port
The g series have 5x zoom and the lens is very far from the port at widest setting, things get worse as you zoom in his means most lenses don't work
Inon has just developed zoom lens wide angle to deal with this kind of cameras however optical quality is inferior to a traditional lens and I would not recommend using such lens for the rx100 at all
So I think you are on the wrong course
The g series are not wide angle camera and you should not constraint the lens choice for the rx100 based on what works for the G
Also with the rx100 there are many lenses changes in a dive so you really want a bayonet mount
Inon uwl-100 28ad, ufl165ad, uwl-h100 28ld all work well with this camera and are my preference over m67 lenses

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom