Best full foot fins for 5 [repetitive] dives a day on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using the same fins (open heel fins with booties) for 16 years.....but I'm interested in getting some full foot fins. Now, when I did my first liveaboard in 2009 I learned the need to use lycra socks inside my dive booties or the skin on my feet would get really torn to shreds. I've looked at dive masters on liveaboards and many of them use full foot fins (in warm environments) and they didn't seem to have to wear any kind of lycra socks.

For those of you who use full foot fins for repetitive dives on liveaboards (or any dive trip where you're doing 5 dives a day for a week or more), what are your favorite types/brands of fins? I have been looking at the Mares Avanti super-channel fins (full foot).....I'd prefer a non-split fin style and I would like them to be a little on the long side (for power) but not necessarily free diving fins.

Any recommendations?

I use superchannels whenever I dive off a boat. They are super comfy and have pretty good thrust. Never had a foot problem with 25 dives a week. I have a pair of garra's that I like to train with, but the pockets are way too stiff. I also gave fullfoot quattros a try, way to stiff for a week of diving. I'll stick with superchannels for a long week of dives.

I've been using the same fins (open heel fins with booties) for 16 years.....but I'm interested in getting some full foot fins. Now, when I did my first liveaboard in 2009 I learned the need to use lycra socks inside my dive booties or the skin on my feet would get really torn to shreds. I've looked at dive masters on liveaboards and many of them use full foot fins (in warm environments) and they didn't seem to have to wear any kind of lycra socks.

For those of you who use full foot fins for repetitive dives on liveaboards (or any dive trip where you're doing 5 dives a day for a week or more), what are your favorite types/brands of fins? I have been looking at the Mares Avanti super-channel fins (full foot).....I'd prefer a non-split fin style and I would like them to be a little on the long side (for power) but not necessarily free diving fins.

Any recommendations?

If you change your mind and consider freedive fins, take a look at our selection. People who dive day in and day out over a long period of time can develop some pretty tough feet. If you dive infrequently and want to dive for several days in a row, we highly recommend a thin (3mm) neoprene sock for comfort, regardless of the type of full foot fin you select. Also, if you dive in cold water, you may benefit by wearing these socks under your normal, thick scuba boot (for added warmth).

Most people find our pockets comfortable for barefoot diving, but after a few days the benefit of neoprene socks may become evident.

MYFS-2.jpg

We have a selection of freedive fins that should match anyone's budget:

Fins

Fins are kind of linke masks - choose ones that fit you. And since we all have different size and shapes of feet, no single brand of fin is "best fit". So my best fit is likely of no value to you.

I have used both full foot and open heel fins on live aboards (full fit for 1 week when the boat lost my fins overboard during a night storm). They fit great with no problems. I have also used rental full fit fins on short snorkel trips that where terrible because they did not fit.

With open heels I find the bootie to be more of an issue than the fin. My first set of booties started out great with no issues after a week of 5 dives a day but as they aged i started to get sore spots on the top of a few toes. My second set of booties (with original fins) where tossed after their first trip due to many sore spots from the seams in the booties. My third set are good with no blisters or sore spots (still with the same fins).

So try a bunch and find a set that fit you. Ignore the ones that fit me.

For repetitive drift dives, Mares Volo "Race" fins.
They are inexpensive, very lightweight, and have great soft foot pockets.
For power, Mares Quattros.
You will need a strong leg to crank with these.
I have been using these two fins for a long time.
Mares "Super Channels" are a goodchoice.
And as Mako said, GET SOME NEOPRENE "Socks".
They protect your feeties and toesies from hot decks, Sea Lice, Fire Coral, chafing, and all sorts of other problems.

Chug
Likes Mako Fins also.

Full Foot Apollo Bio Fins, if you can find them. In 50 years of diving the most comfortable fins I've ever used by far, and quite efficient, unless you compare then to very long free diving fins. When Apollo discontinued them a few years ago for some damn fool reason I bought two extra pair, one of the smartest moves I've ever made. Nothing compares. Like having your foot encased in silk. An extremely responsive fin, easy to use. Heavy pure natural rubber. An unfailing delight. Not only do you not need socks or vaseline, anything between you and this marvelous fin would be a pity.

Back
Top Bottom