best hoseless dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suunto or Oceanic...

... sure, if you happen to like uber conservative computers that don't let you grow. My wife does mostly recreational diving, uses a Shearwater and loves it. Infinite flexibility. Don't bother with Suunto's algorithm. You'll still be hanging on your deco while you're buddies have already rinsed their gear and are in the bar telling stories about the dive.

Reactions: Jax
Reactions: Jax
Hi misdmnr,

I have 157 dives on an Oceanic VT 3 purchased in July 2010. It has worked flawlessly. If purchasing today, would consider the VT 4.1 I like the relatively liberal Pelagic DSAT algorithm. I dived a Pro Plus and a Pro Plus 2 in the decade prior to the VT 3. I dive a Geo 2 as backup, have not needed it to date.

Good diving, Craig

If you want the next generation of wireless computers, I recommend the Liquivision Lynx. Targeted for late summer, with amazing features I can't even post here.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Debating on which is the best...so I am here seeking the opinions of all who may be able to...

The computers I am considering:

Oceanic OC1
Oceanic VT 4.1
Suunto D9tx

I do cold water, fresh and salt water diving. I am looking for user friendly as I detest reading manuals...though will suffer through if need be. I dive ENOX whenever possible and like the idea of having a computer that will allow up to 99% nitrox adjustability. I want a high/higher end computer. If there are any newer models out than the ones listed I'm up for those also. Thanks in advance!!!

Unlike most people in this thread, I will answer the OP's question.

Of the ones listed, I prefer the Suunto for ease of use as compared to the Oceanic. I have owned both the OC1 and a D9, and I think for ease of use (without reading the manual), it's the D9.

I have found that the Suunto is not THAT MUCH MORE conservative than the Oceanic, as people suggest. I also have a shearwater, and frankly, with a 30/85 GF (the default), it's very similar to the NDL's for the Suunto computer. However... the Shearwater isn't a hoseless computer, which is what the OP was asking about.

Unlike most people in this thread, I will answer the OP's question.

Of the ones listed, I prefer the Suunto for ease of use as compared to the Oceanic. I have owned both the OC1 and a D9, and I think for ease of use (without reading the manual), it's the D9.

I have found that the Suunto is not THAT MUCH MORE conservative than the Oceanic, as people suggest. I also have a shearwater, and frankly, with a 30/85 GF (the default), it's very similar to the NDL's for the Suunto computer. However... the Shearwater isn't a hoseless computer, which is what the OP was asking about.

I also answered the OP's question. I do not find Oceanic computers difficult to use but have been using them since 2001. I do find the NDLs between Oceanic Pelagic DSAT algorithm and Suunto's algorithm to be significantly different (1st dive on air to 60 feet, 57 vs. 50 minutes...). To each their own.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom