best hoseless dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

looks like another vote for oceanic...i will be teaching class this weekend and will have to see what the dive shop can do for me. i will still check the liquivision out, but haven't heard back on how the touch screen works with 7mm gloves on.

I have had an atom, sol, Luna, and d9. Oceanic's menus are much harder to get around. I think they went away from the button hold stuff with the oc1. The d9 is a good computer but much more conservative compared to my sol. I wanted to buy an oc1 but never got around to it. In comparison, I think the d9 and oc1 are very comparable. The compass I hear is good on the oc1 and completely unreliable on my d9. If you don't mind the bulk, I think the sol or Luna are the best IMHO. But the bulk is slightly annoying. I haven't had any issues with my d9 strap but I only use it when I dive and don't wear it everyday. The user replaceable batteries on sol and Luna is nice. If I remember right, the oc1 and d9 are non user replaceable. Suunto required my old shop to send it in to replace the battery so I was without it for about a month and a half.( I was in Guam so shipping was a pain).

"I think the sol or Luna are the best IMHO. But the bulk is slightly annoying.", I agree! An OLED version of the LUNA with perhaps a smaller form factor would be fantastic! So long as it does not lose key features like; user replaceable batteries, separate battery compartment from electronics in case of flood, reliable transmitter. "

Best currently available hoseless dive computer is a brass and glass is spgs, shearwater predator, and gray matter

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

looks like another vote for oceanic...i will be teaching class this weekend and will have to see what the dive shop can do for me. i will still check the liquivision out, but haven't heard back on how the touch screen works with 7mm gloves on.

It's not a touch screen. It uses accelerometers.So long as you can tap it it should be O.K. (Have never used one myself)

"I think the sol or Luna are the best IMHO. But the bulk is slightly annoying.", I agree! An OLED version of the LUNA with perhaps a smaller form factor would be fantastic! So long as it does not lose key features like; user replaceable batteries, separate battery compartment from electronics in case of flood, reliable transmitter. "

What I like most about the Galileo (SOL or Luna) is the easy of use. I find the menus easy to use. The only real dive to dive setting to change is the O2 %. I change the altitude once per trip and salt or fresh water. Put it on and run the dive planner. Thats it. I removed the bands on mine. I use a large one piece strap wrapped over the battery compartment. In order to lose it the strap has to tear in 2!

CountyComm - NITROX-17 A 17" Watch Band For Divers

or if your wrist is smaller than mine

CountyComm - Zulu Four Buckle Watch Straps

Overkill is proven 100% effective.

If you want a little more out if it and get the SOL the trimix firmware is out. It changes from the ZLH-8ADT 8 compartment to the ZLH-16 16 compartment algorithm. It changes the o2% for air to 20.7% from 21%. You get support for 10 tanks instead of 5. Decompress works down to 508 Ft instead of 394 Ft. Deeper than I will ever need but just sharing.

Later Mon,
Nick

I just picked up an Oceanic VT4.1. I actually traded in my old mid-90s Datamax Pro that I flooded by being hasty (stupid) in a battery change (Oceanic gave me a 20% discount for a 15+ year-old computer - very cool). I also own a Datamax Pro Plus 2.1, original Cochran, and Aladin Pro. The Oceanic Datamax series have always been solid and simple to use. I wasn't really thrilled with the menu structure on the VT series but they have completly knocked it out of the park with the VT4.1. It is as easy to set up and use (especially when task-loaded) as my old Datamax Pro. Hard to beat Oceanic for a solid rec computer.

g'day, guys!

I used to test few hoseless dive computers - Oceanic OC1, VT3, Suunto D9, Aeris Epic, and few others just to make the reviews for a period of several years. But still the best wireless dive computer for me is Galileo SOL. I've been using it for about a year - and still love it as it was from the first look!

... sure, if you happen to like uber conservative computers that don't let you grow. My wife does mostly recreational diving, uses a Shearwater and loves it. Infinite flexibility. Don't bother with Suunto's algorithm. You'll still be hanging on your deco while you're buddies have already rinsed their gear and are in the bar telling stories about the dive.

I agree. That's why I own a Oceanic Geo 2 for rec or a gauge mode back-up with tec...

---------- Post added ----------

Your Shearwater has a hose?

The OP listed ALL AIR INTEGRATED computers.

I am trying to answer the OP's question, not just spew unrelated (off topic) advice :wink:

Hmm, just re-read the OP's first post. Nothing about air integrated. By the way, do you have an interest in Aqua Lung products which would sway your recommendation's?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom