Best Island for macro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wicket

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking to do trip in Feb no plans yet. I'm more into taking my time looking at small things and reef fish defiantly open to shore dives but I'll be alone. Not sure how to even start my research do resorts have onsite ops? or am I better off using on off site? Any help you can give would be great!

The Big Island has several good shops but the only one I know at a resort is Blue Wilderness at the Hilton. Kona Honu Divers, Big Island Divers, Blue Wilderness and Kohala Divers are all very good shops that I have used. We do a fair amount of shore diving on the Big Island as well and you can buy a 10 tank card from Blue Wilderness which works out to about $6 a cylinder. We rent a condo when we go check out VRBO lots of good options.

All the islands have similar macro opportunities in my humble opinion. Wildlife does vary for sure in the 500 mile stretch between Kauai and Big Isle with many consistent small critters for sure. I encourage photographers to really consider shore diving options for personalized dives with a small or even private group. Shore dives with the right guide/company typically yield amazing results and a slow - critter intensive pace. Many of the dives also offer easy entry/exit. As you narrow your island choice, I'd be happy to put you in touch with guides/companies that I have personally used. I can also suggest sites that are great for small critters.

Kauai has an awesome shore dive called Koloa Landing that is LOADED with macro opportunities. I dive there numerous times a month just for photography. Some of the current macro highlights include...

Harlequin Shrimp
Leaf Scorpion Fish
Endemic Freckled Snake Eels
Dragon Morays
Blue Dragon Nudibranchs
White Margin Nudibranchs
Commerson Frogfish
(These are daily highlights currently)

You'll also see lots of turtles, various moray species, countless inverts, devil scorpion fish ...etc....

As it is home, I certainly know more about Kauai than the other islands current hot spots.

I don't think you are going to go wrong with any of the islands for your macro/photo needs. The trick is in finding a guide/company that is happy to cater to your photography needs which can be done easily be done with a little research. It's a crazy time here on the islands for guides and I think that's why you haven't gotten more replies just yet - but I am sure they will filter in.

Feel free to personal message me with any specific questions you have. I'd be more than happy to try to help you out as best I can.

Best of ocean wishes and Happy New Year to you!
A

Thank you very much! I've changed my mind for this trip as I couldn't find any decent deals on flights or rooms for the dates I had in mind. I'll defiantly reach back out to you when I plan a trip that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom