Best Mares Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NEP1984

New
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a MARES mask. What is the best one? I am thinking of either the Demon or maybe Xvision. Any recommendations?

With no idea what I was doing, I bought an XVision. Lots of compliments from other divers. Front vision is great, but peripheril vision (up, down, left, right) is not good, but that may be a function of all masks

I have the Xvision and I'm quite happy with it. Compared to my el-cheapo unknown brand old mask, the Xvision has a fantastic field of vision. I also have a Demon Black Passion mask which I'll be trying out this weekend. Apparently it has an even wider field of vision than the Xvision.

Whichever one you buy, just make sure it is a good fit.

Rob

I am glad you are interested in a Mares mask, we have many models (X-Vision, X-Vision Mid, Demon and the new Liquidskin X-Vision which will hit the stores in about 3o days).

All are good choices, the best will be the one that fits your face the best. Please try them.

Regards,

Phil

Personally, I have an X-vision and love it. The vision all around is great, by my experience. I can't wait to try on a liquidskin X-vision and see how that fits. I have a short beard which causes slight water infiltration (it's usually fine, but I have to adjust it perfectly). If the new liquidskin X-vision molds better to my face and feels more comfortable, it might just be an excuse to do some shopping!:14: :14: :14:

Phil, Zak, I noticed the new liquidskin seems to have similar cosmetics as the Demon... Has Mares addressed the "cosmetic rubbing off" on this new mask model (which some people had issues with the Demon)?

Personally I think the XVision is pretty cool and I know you've decided on a Mares mask, but why?

A mask is something you need to try on and ensure it is both comfortable and well fitted. This could mean that a no name brand $10 mask may be the best for you.

You should be trying on as many masks as possible and then buying what fits best.

Obviously if you are set on a mares mask then try all there masks on a buy the one that fits best. The best/most expensive mares mask may not be the one for you.

Fit is best not brand, price or features as such, this is especially important when buying a mask.

Sorry to keep repeating myself but I feel strrongly about this. Any other gear go with whatever brand you like they are all good and if you stick with the known brands you can be sure it is quality gear.

CODMAN:
Personally, I have an X-vision and love it. The vision all around is great, by my experience. I can't wait to try on a liquidskin X-vision and see how that fits. I have a short beard which causes slight water infiltration (it's usually fine, but I have to adjust it perfectly). If the new liquidskin X-vision molds better to my face and feels more comfortable, it might just be an excuse to do some shopping!:14: :14: :14:

Phil, Zak, I noticed the new liquidskin seems to have similar cosmetics as the Demon... Has Mares addressed the "cosmetic rubbing off" on this new mask model (which some people had issues with the Demon)?

The X-Vision Liquidskin does not use the same painting treatment as the Demon, all colors are molded.

Phil

Might I ask a question so as to provoke thought?
Why a Mares mask only? They make fantastic products and I love their regs and fins.
Never had the chance to try one of their masks, but there are many choices from many top names and I suggest you try several from each manufacturer and see what fits you best and gives you the desired feild of sight. I have a bunch of masks and wear them for certain purposes. I guess now, I had better try out the Mares line of masks too!!:martian:

I'll definately look at other brands. I want to get some MARES volo race fins so I figured I'd also look into getting a mask as well.

Just FYI:

I tried out my Mares Demon mask yesterday and what a difference it made, compared to my X-vision. It just felt like I could see a whole lot more around me, without having to turn my head too much. It might have just been the fact that the skirt on the Demon is clear, compared to the black of the X-Vision, but it made a huge diffrerence to me. Definitely the mask I'll be using from now on. I've had the mask for a few months now, but yesterday was the first time I had a chance to try it out.

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom