Best mask for Asian facial features?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My mask and backup are Oceanic.

For a single lens, I like the Gull Coco and Tusa Frameless. Let me caveat by saying I bought/borrowed/returned about 20 masks to get to these two. Both companies have really soft silicone, and the nose pockets are smaller, but have enough silicone to allow you to equalize without causing a leak.

Every face is different, but in general the area I found most problematic with other brands for me was the nose pocket.

Mares are made really large, with a high bridge. The pocket also sort of starts more forward, 'off' the face. I couldn't even grab my nose on their masks. Also, many frameless masks use a design where the nose pockets have less silicone on the sides/bridge, - they sort of smoothly merge into the frame, vs sitting behind the frame in a style with a traditional frame. As a result, when I went to equalize, I'd get a leak because I had to deform the skirt too much to get good closure. It also had more tendency to leak on my DURING the dive, and that's so frustrating as you're wasting air clearing all the time. My atomic subframe is like this too...while I love how the mask looks, now I never dive with it because it just isn't a good match for my face.

Net net, I love my Gull and my Tusa. I do think that since both are based in Asia, they probably have a better understanding of the design needs.

Good luck!

If anyone is going to do some research to help out the Op do NOT do a search on Asian Facial before clicking "safe search on" in your browser.

If anyone is going to do some research to help out the Op do NOT do a search on Asian Facial before clicking "safe search on" in your browser.

:rofl3::eyebrow:

anyway, i use: Genesis SM7200 "LVX" Two Window Mask

fits perfect on me, my wife and my friends who are also asians. they love it so much they've actually taken two of mine and i ordered a couple more just for me! best thing to do is try them on first hand before buying. there is a lot out there that fits.

STOP the search :) If you have an Asian face you probably have also a wider face with eyes further away from each other than say an European face. This will result in a leaking mask from the sides, because the skirt is not wide enough, for most of the brands that you will try.

This the ONLY mask that fits me well: IST Oversized Mask. See my previous post about this mask here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5375410-post20.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom