Best month(s) for Costa Rica (Playas Del Coco)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillpusher

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I went once last May and didn't get to do Bats or Cats (despite websites saying otherwise, I was told they were "out of season" when I arrived), so I'm looking to take another swing at things with a better time of year. Every search I do tends to bring up different recommendations, though. Hell, most of them can't even seem to agree on which months have the best vis or when the rainy season even is. I was looking at November, but now I'm not so sure. Because of this CV stuff, if that's not a great month, it'll have to wait until next year.

What I'm looking for:

At least decent vis-I know it's rarely great there, but I've seen a lot of videos that were FAR better than what I had when I was there.

Pelagics-Mantas, whales, etc. Bull sharks would be nice, but it's further down my priority list. I'd REALLY like to be able to see the mobula rays jumping out of the water as well.

Your thoughts and recommendations would be greatly appreciated

You could contact the Aggressor folks. They used to run their boats out there, although they currently don't.

I’m just looking to do land based. Thanks, though.

We've been to the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica twice, once in May 2005, the other in May 2014.

Both times we were able to dive both the Bats and Cats, saw Bull Sharks at the Big Scare in 2005, nobody home in 2014; Black Rock was amazing both times.

You may have just had poor timing. It is my understanding that May is the preferred month, due to off-shore conditions during the Summer. If you went in late May, you may have been pushing the weather envelope. Both of our trips were early to mid-May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom