Best months to dive? Galapagos - Komodo - Raja Ampat - Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GR8FUL

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently created another thread on this site asking about the best & most affordable dive destinations around the world. Based on the answers I received, over the next 1-24 months I want to book land-based (most likely not LOB) dive trips to the Galapagos, Komodo, Raja Ampat, and the Red Sea.

Typically I'm not much of a planner & most of my trips happen last-minute, but seeing how these places are not particularly easy nor inexpensive to get to (flying from USA at least) it occurred to me that I should plan ahead and go to each location based upon the best months / most opportune time to be there.

While the primary focus of the trip will be diving, the quality of diving is NOT the absolute sole consideration in terms of when is the best time to visit each place.

Other considerations include:

Cost. Often high season = high prices, whereas prices can be significantly discounted during the low season. Maybe the best of both worlds is booking trips during "shoulder season", i.e., the month or two in-between high & low season. I typically stay at airbnbs or modest guest-houses. I feel a little too old / out of place at hostels, and I appreciate A/C & private bathrooms. Fancy I don't need, just something clean, quiet, and comfortable.

Weather. Perhaps the summer months are great diving in a particular spot, but top-side activities suck due to daily rains or high heat & humidity, etc.. Other months the diving may not be at its absolute peak, but better weather makes topside day / nighttime activities more enjoyable. So it's a delicate balance.

Crowds: Summer months might be a great time to visit Europe in terms of weather, but summer also means hordes of college kids and families on vacation, increased prices, sold-out hotel rooms, etc.. Peak season in popular dive locations might mean over-crowded dive spots, so perhaps certain locations are better scheduled not during the peak season.

I understand that it might be a difficult challenge to balance all these considerations, and that opinions will most likely vary. I'm just seeking input to help me make the best decision for me.

If you think I would be better served my re-posting the question about each dive spot in its country-specific forum let me know. Thanks in advance for all replies!

That's a super-useful website that I was unaware of--thanks for the link!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom