Best noobie setup around $800 or less...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking to getting an underwater camera mainly for vacations and such. I've been thinking about the SeaLife DC12000 Elite system which is about $800. I also saw an add for the Nikon Coolpics L24 with housing and a strobe for a little under $800. Would one of these be a better option than the other and why? Any other options for a beginner in this price range?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Scott

I used a $300 Canon SD series (happened to be the 870IS) in the Canon housing - about $500 total. This setup worked pretty well, especially for macro. You can see some of my pictures with it here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/chris.j.jacobsen/AnilaoFavoritesOct2010
https://picasaweb.google.com/chris.j.jacobsen/PalauOnOceanHunterIMay2009
My son has now taken this setup from me, and I got a S95, Ikelite housing, and strobe. But I think it's hard to do that for less than $1000 or so. You might call a shop that specializes in underwater camera setups, like backscatter.com or opticaloceansales.com

S95 / IKELITE COMBO : Ikelite 6242.95 Ultra Compact Housing f/ Can 6242.95 B&H Photo
S95

G12 / CANON COMBO : Canon PowerShot G12 Digital Camera 4342B001 B&H Photo Video Canon WP-DC34 Case for Canon PowerShot G11 & G12 4042B001

Two solid choices within your price range. Both systems will grow with you "manual controls, wet lens capability, RAW format". The SeaLife Dc1200 and Nikon don't have manual controls or RAW format, which are important features as you progress in your underwater photography.

Last edited:
You can get Oly XZ-1 with PT-050 housing for USD 800 or less. Great camera, the largest sensor for its class; faster auto foucus, RAW.
The housing is compact in size, include 67mm screw for wet lens (macro or WA), hot-shoe for accessories connector, internal flash can be used while waiting your next investment for strobe sets.

Back
Top Bottom