Best of the Best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blacknet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

OK ppl. What's the top 10 regs on the market today (models specific not general brands)and what did the test results show? Looking for a superb performer, super low maintance, super easy to work on, highly resistant to corrosion and will outperform in any suitation I can put it in.

thanks,

Ed

Are you asking us to quote a particular source (as in Rodale's ScubaLabs) or state our personal opinions?

As far as opinions, I would include the following regs
  • Apeks TX50 and TX100
    Zeagle Tech50D (very similar to TX50)
    Poseidins
    Atomic (I've seen Corsair's and it's a nice setup)

I'm sure the rest of this bunch will be contributing soon.

Hello,

No i'm asking for hardcore material on which ones (non-mag testing) and something to back up the results. Know it's out there just gotta find it :wink:

BTW the tech50 is the SAME as the apeks 50, just a different logo.

Ed

Then the question is, "What's the reason for the request?" Are you wanting help on a purchase for yourself? If so, what sorts of diving are you doing or desire to do?

The person best qualified to answer that question is Rainreg. His list of qualifications is a mile long. He is da man! I'll forward this thread to his attention.

Hello,

I had lunch with rainreg this weekend :wink: He fixed me up with a new tank (luxfer al30 w/ a DIN valve) a new apeks tx50, vip'd my tank, and we cleaned and adjusted my POS seaquest reg. We're talking about this one reg to replace it with but thought i'd do some footwork and see.

As for the types of dives i'll be doing it'll be going to normox and eventually I wanna do the sara.

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

No i'm asking for hardcore material on which ones (non-mag testing) and something to back up the results. Know it's out there just gotta find it :wink:

BTW the tech50 is the SAME as the apeks 50, just a different logo.

Ed

The current Zeagle ISN'T the same.

Apeks and zeagle have had a parting of ways over a year ago, and Apeks is now represented in the US by Seaquest.

Regulators now sold by zeagle are either
1) old stock - therefore there is a chance it is still an Apeks
or
2) It is the new zeagle, that is in many ways a copy of the Apeks regs, but not a genuine Apeks.

As for the origional question, there are no really objective sources out there. The best surveys I have found have been the ones carried out by Diver magasine (http:/www.divernet.com) in the UK. Their conclusions on regs have pretty much mirrored my observations about particular regs. They also are not affraid to say when something isn't upto the job.

Other than that you have the US navy, and the CE tests - however I don't think that they release data other than pass/fail - rainreg can give you more info on that though.

As a general observation (from the last 5-6 years), the brands with the best reputations, and most used are

Demanding hardcore technical divers - Apeks, Poseidon

Serious 'recretional' (inc. Nitrox/some basic deco) - Apeks, Posiedon, Scubapro, Mares

Cold water - Apeks, Poseidon, (some Scubapro as well)

Different regs are suitable for different things, and one that is best for one type of diving, is not necessarily good for another. There are also many other things to think about such as the quality of the technicians locally. For example Poseidon regs benefit from a good technician that can set them up really well. Start by talking to the people that use the regs you are interested in your area, and then actually try them! It is one thing reading a good review / trial results, and yet another to dive and actually enjoy using a reg ,for example, Poseidon regs are indestructable, but having dived with one, I will never again! it was a torrid experience, I hated every breath from it.

Hope this gives some idea!

Jon T

PS the list of regs above is by no means exhaustive, but represents in MY EXPERIENCE the vast majority of regs in the UK and in France.

Hello,

Yes that's true. I was stating that the old models was the apeks, should have been abit more clear in what I wrote.

The #1 problem I find in regulator reviews is the negative parts. Seems that alot of the reviews I have seen was biased and only said the good parts about them (could this be because the company has insterest in the review?)

Now the usn studies I have seen did have negative remarks about some models. Even these reviews doesn't group them by the top 10 so that's abit judgemental so I should change it to say what's the top 10 regs on the market then cross that with the usn studies.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom