Best place for Dugongs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divezonescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
If we can make it to Egypt this year, we are thinking about going to Hurgada for a liveaboard in 2022. If we end up doing that we would also like to shore / day trip dive for one additional week.

Where would be the best place to stay in that area if we were interested in the remote possibility of seeing dugongs?

Thanks.

I saw dugongs near Shark Bay in Australia years ago. I had no idea they were in Egypt. Live and learn!

My buddy and I did a long swim through the seagrass at Marsa Shouna in May 2016. Unfortunately, no Dugongs

I heard of sightings in Soma Bay (rare) but the place of choice in Egypt is around Marsa Alam with one spot being the seagrass meadows around Marsa al Nabaa (N025° 19.318 E034° 44.729)

There are some, regularly seen, in the surroundings of Marsa Abu Dabab (see the post of JustSurfaceInterval for coordinates)

If you really want to see some, approximately 6,000 dugongs in the Persian Gulf (United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, and 1,000 in Saudi Arabia - Farasan Islands project)

source : TENDUA - Association for biodiversity conservation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom