Best place in Florida to get DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Roninvalhalla2015

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I am getting ready to retire in a couple of years and was wondering the best place to get my DM in Florida? I currently I live in Idaho but would like to come down and visit for a month or so. How long would a course be and how much would it typically cost? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

Rick

One of the divers in our area hooked up with Rainbow Reef Divers in the keys. He said that had an internship where they also allowed DM candidates to buy gear at wholesale cost. You might want to contact them to find out their current program and benefits.

I'm certainly no expert, but perhaps the shop I've dealt with over the years (did my Master Diver cert. there)--Emerald Coast Scuba in Destin on the panhandle. A few years ago they were declared the best shop in the Western Hemisphere (whatever that means....). Owner Anna Schmitz was at one point a Platinum Course Director and she's certified hundreds of instructors. Ray T., a Master Instructor is also a long time employee with great respect. They've always done well by me anyway. DM courses probably vary a lot-- maybe $800+? Their website I think is divedestin.com.

I was recommended Rainbow Reef to audit an Instructor Development Course for my advanced Instructor ratings. The recommendations came from three different course directors in three different parts of the world, Colorado, California and Guam. So I feel pretty good about them, and next July I can report about there program. So if their instructor program is pretty good perhaps their Divemaster program is too.

By far the best DM training has been thru the Stuart Scuba family of shops and boats from North Carolina, to Cave Country to Jupiter, Florida, to Palm Beach, Florida.
I was so impressed by the quality of staff, the depth of their training programs and the standards they maintain that I started teaching for them.

Their DM candidates get real world experience in shops and boats working alongside some of the most experienced staff in the industry. With Stuart Scuba you may pay for training but the certification must be earned. DM takes anywhere from 3 to 6 months and yes...people do fail. But passing it means you are one of the best.
Plus they offer advantages to their DM candidates like tec diving, cave training and more.

One of the divers in our area hooked up with Rainbow Reef Divers in the keys. He said that had an internship where they also allowed DM candidates to buy gear at wholesale cost. You might want to contact them to find out their current program and benefits.

I have been told a lot of good things about Rainbow Reef Divers Training programs as well. With that, everything comes down to the student.

I have used RRD at least 3 times, the first was a great experience, the 2nd 2 where poor. Last Spring the DM's seemed to be in far to much of a rush to move people on and off the boat. My daughter was getting a little sea sickness and i was attending her. When I came back to my gear to switch tanks, the DM had already started moving my gear over. Problem, he had never seen a Din connector before. DM keep putting it in the valve crooked, and partial stripped it. I ended up having to have the din connector replaced. Later while people where putting away gear (not yet to port), he put my Sons diver computer in another divers bag. I asked what he was doing and his response was we where taking to long. First time I never tipped a DM.

IWhen I came back to my gear to switch tanks, the DM had already started moving my gear over. Problem, he had never seen a Din connector before. DM keep putting it in the valve crooked, and partial stripped it. I ended up having to have the din connector replaced.

that is one reason our DM program takes 3-6 months and DMs train and intern under highly experienced instructors. We expect a DM on a boat to know the gear they're going to see. So we expose them to sidemount, tech configurations and more.

I dived for a few days with Stuart Scuba last year. And I met @sheeper while I was down there. The shop was great. sheeper was great to talk to. I would definitely consider doing a DM program there.

But, I am curious, Rick, why do you want to do a DM program? I mean, what do you hope to get out of the DM program and what do you plan to do with your DM certification after you get it?

I did a Shark Dive out of Stuart Scuba last Nov, on the Emerald Charters boat. Your staff was pleasant to work with, and I would like to talk to you more later this year about some Technical diving training.

As I mention in my post, everything comes down to the student and applaud anyone that seeks additional training. Please ask, why seek a DM? Why does one get a Master Degree, Double Major, or a Doctorate. Because seeking knowledge helps us grow as people.

I have looked at a lot DM programs, and the cost/time can be a huge difference. Since we all learn differently, we have to pick the right program for us. If I lived in Jupiter, your program would be great. Presently though I live in West of Orlando, and it is the time commitment that would kill me. Since I work as a Teacher/Coach and have summers off, the Internships are perfect. If you are a good Diver and DM, your training does not end at the DM. You are always learning.

I am doing a DM program in Cozumel this summer, and I will happily report back the experience and shop when I return.

I did a Shark Dive out of Stuart Scuba last Nov, on the Emerald Charters boat. Your staff was pleasant to work with, and I would like to talk to you more later this year about some Technical diving training.

As I mention in my post, everything comes down to the student and applaud anyone that seeks additional training. Please ask, why seek a DM? Why does one get a Master Degree, Double Major, or a Doctorate. Because seeking knowledge helps us grow as people.

I have looked at a lot DM programs, and the cost/time can be a huge difference. Since we all learn differently, we have to pick the right program for us. If I lived in Jupiter, your program would be great. Presently though I live in West of Orlando, and it is the time commitment that would kill me. Since I work as a Teacher/Coach and have summers off, the Internships are perfect. If you are a good Diver and DM, your training does not end at the DM. You are always learning.

I am doing a DM program in Cozumel this summer, and I will happily report back the experience and shop when I return.

Pardon if this goes too far off on a tangent:
So, I would second Stuartv on asking Rick or others so why to do a DM program.
I am asking because of generous interest and because it seems to be one way to dive more. But I am als conflicted about it and in that sense I do not fully understand Mikado's logic in the quoted post above. This is in as such that if I went for a master's degree, yes, it would be in the expectation to gain knowledge, but also to gain recognotion and financial gain or at least as an entry ticket to a job otherwise not obtainle.

But just like with DMing, going for a Masters Degree is not the only way to gain that kowledge. One can also put in the effort and self study and practice. If a degree is not required or financially rewarded, self study may be more cost effective also.

So my particular interest to the question Stuartv asked is from this specific point of view:
If you have the certs you need to do what DMs do in terms of diving (not in terms of guiding). And if you are not going to be a dive professional guiding divers at the beginning of their diving endeavors. And if you happen to think that you might maybe rather put a similar amount of time and effort into basically diving and self study for the improvement and enjoyment of your diving.
.... Are there reasons why you still might want to consider DMing to further your diving prowess anyway?

Or if gaining knowledge and skill is the main intent, why going the DM route over e.g. the tech route?
(I am aware that the OP stated no such thing, but that's why it is interesting to learn what various diver's reasons are to go the DM route)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom