Best place to dive in PNG?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never made it to Milne Bay but have dove Wewak to Madang and Eastern Fields on the Golden Dawn, Kimbe Bay from Walindi and Kimbe, Fathers Reef and Rabaul from Star Dancer. All are very good, but Eastern Fields is, IMO, the best of them, maybe the best diving I've ever done. Wewak to Madang is really two types of diving. First, there's fairly exposed, high current diving on off shore reefs and Bagabag and Karkar islands. Lots of sharks, tuna, trevally. Beautiful extensive fields of coral. Second, there's Hansa Bay, PNG's answer to Truk with a large number of Japanese merchant ships sunk in water shallower than 100 ft and now covered in hard and soft corals. Kimbe Bay is protected, extraordinary clear water, huge fans. A number of sites (less protected) have lots of sharks. The whole area is very photogenic. Fathers Reef is exposed, high current, good shark action. Rabaul had very good macro. Finally, Eastern Fields is everything other than wrecks. Clear water, incredibly rich reefs, lots of macro, and lots of big stuff, huge dogtooth tuna, trevally, and sharks. If you can take a longer trip, Craig will get you to Ashmore and Boot reefs where the shark action is the best I've seen. Highly recommend Golden Dawn. But Craig is spending much of his time running private charters and piloting yachts for the very rich. So it may take time for him to get back to you, but it's worth the wait.

Milne Bay rightly deserves its name as the home of muck diving. Nearby Deacons Reef is an amazing spot and Alotoa is pretty easy to get to.

Milne Bay rightly deserves its name as the home of muck diving. Nearby Deacons Reef is an amazing spot and Alotoa is pretty easy to get to.

I'm with you Wingy...Milne Bay is fantastic. I'm amazed how few people seem to go there....Walindi does the far better job of advertising, but I suspect if more people went to MB they'd find it some of the best diving PNG has to offer. I'd love to make it to Eastern Fields one of these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom